Portland, OR—The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality will award up to $600,000 in grants for projects that promote waste prevention, reuse or recovery. Local governments, nonprofit organizations and federally-recognized tribal nations are encouraged to apply. Funding for projects that prevent wasted food is also available to public schools, colleges and universities.
DEQ is looking for proposals that further Oregon’s 2050 Materials Management Vision (https://www.oregon.gov/deq/mm/Pages/default.aspx). Priority will be given to proposals focused on partnerships with community-based organizations. Focus points will be awarded to proposals involving two or more organizations promoting projects that will help a local community. Implementation of projects must include extensive involvement from a community-based organization that represents or has successfully served the target community.
DEQ has awarded more than $9 million in waste prevention, reuse or recovery grants since 1991. Last year, DEQ awarded $600,000 to 16 recipients. Past projects include:
• Funding milk dispensers and durable food serviceware for schools in Marion County.
• Supporting a reusable take-out box pilot program for restaurants in the City of Ashland.
• Contributing to recycling infrastructure updates at Garten Services to increase their residential recycling capacity.
• Creating an online Directory for Reuse and Repair by the Corvallis Sustainability Coalition for the Corvallis area.
• Expanding the work of the Oregon Green Schools Association involving waste audits, education on food waste and tailored waste reduction action plans in low income communities in the Centennial, David Douglas, Parkrose, Portland Public and Reynolds school districts.
DEQ will host a public conference call about the application process on Monday, Aug. 5, 10 - 11 a.m. A second call for tribal nations is scheduled for Monday, Aug. 19, 1 – 2 p.m.
Grant applications are due Friday, Oct. 4. Find more information on how to apply at https://www.oregon.gov/deq/mm/Pages/Grants.aspx
Sign up to receive text or email updates about the grants at https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/ORDEQ/subs...
For information on Oregon's 2050 Vision for Materials Management visit https://www.oregon.gov/deq/mm/Pages/default.aspx
Jennifer Flynt, 503-730-5924, email@example.com