Statewide, OR—The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality issued 12 penalties totaling $371,649 in September for various environmental violations. A detailed list of violations and resulting penalties is at https://ordeq.org/enforcement.
Fines ranged from $1,776 to $84,647. Alleged violations included a performing asbestos abatement work without a license, establishing a solid waste site without a permit and failing to properly label hazardous waste.
DEQ issued civil penalties to the following organizations:
• DAR USA Inc., $1,776, Curtin, air quality
• Earth Peoples Park and Timin Murray, $84,647, Selma, solid waste
• Ennis-Flint, Inc., $8,400 , Salem, hazardous waste
• Gaston Heights LLC, $82,891, Gaston, stormwater
• Greenleaf Painting & Construction Inc., $28,200, Wilsonville, asbestos
• Kenneth and Amie Barnard, $19,200, Gold Beach, solid waste
• Morrison 12 Ave Apartments LLC, $26,557, Portland, stormwater
• Rusty Stegall, $2,285, Eastman Gulch, solid waste
• Samual Humbert, $57,282, Milton-Freewater, solid waste
• Statewide Restoration, Inc., $28,800, Damascus, asbestos
• SW 95 LLC & Pointe West Apartments, LLC, $20,800, Wilsonville, asbestos
• Ultimate RB, Inc., $10,811, McMinnville, air quality
Organizations or individuals must either pay the fines or file an appeal within 20 days of receiving notice of the penalty. They may be able to offset a portion of a penalty by funding a supplemental environmental project that improves Oregon’s environment. Learn more about these projects at https://ordeq.org/sep.
Penalties may also include orders requiring specific tasks to prevent ongoing violations or additional environmental harm.
DEQ works with thousands of organizations and individuals to help them comply with laws that protect Oregon’s air, land and water. DEQ uses education, technical assistance, warnings and penalties to change behavior and deter future violations.
Media contact: Laura Gleim, public affairs specialist, 503-577-3697, firstname.lastname@example.org