Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Common Questions: Naturopathic Physicians
Continuing Education
CE Image
Q: I know I need to get ten hours of pharmacy CE every year. How will I know if an offering will satisfy the pharmacy requirement?
A: Pharmacy hours must clearly contain information on substances listed on the formulary compendium, interaction of drugs that may or may not be listed on the formulary, drug interactions and contraindications. It is best to attend Board approved pharmacy seminars or request prior approval for a seminar if you have any doubts. Please review OAR 850-040-0210 for specific guidlines outlining this requirement.
Q: I am planning to attend a seminar, how can I check to see if it is approved for CE credit?
A: The fastest way to check is by going to the OBNM website. http://www.oregon.gov/obnm/Pages/Approved-CE.aspx If the program does not appear on the continuing education page then no one has applied for credit yet or someone has applied and the program is being reviewed. You can call and check on the program or you can go ahead and apply for credit for the program.
Q: What is a CME program and how will I know how many hours it is approved for?
A: Continuing Medical Education (CME) is CE that has been established by a recognized professional health care licensing authority, a hospital or institution. CME programs do not require special Board approval if they are educational in nature.
Q: What is an ACCME or ACPE accredited activity?
A: Both the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) and the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) are accrediting councils for medical education.  Although programs accredited by these two councils generally get approved by OBNM they are not guaranteed to be approved.  Some aspects of programs accredited by ACCME & ACPE do not fall under the practice of naturopathic medicine. If any part or all of the offering does not meet approval by OAR 850-040-0210, then it can not be used for credit. (Example: practice management)
Q: Are all ACCME and ACPE accredited activities approved for CE credit?
A: ACCME or ACPE programs are not automatically approved for continuing education.  These programs are generally approved once applied for and the board has sufficient evidence that the accredited programs fall within the practice of naturopathic medicine. If the program does not qualify for credit per OAR 850-040-0210, it can not be used for CE credit. Examples would be practice management activities. It is the responsibility of the licensee to know what is approved in rule, and only use those credits that are qualifying.
Q: How do I know if a program is ACCME or ACPE accredited?
A: Every program accredited by either program will have a statement verifying approval.
Q: What is the process to get a CE program approved, if it is not already Board approved?
A: You need to fill out an application for CE approval. You can obtain this form by downloading it. Individual CE Application You may also call the OBNM office at 971/673-0193 and request it. Along with the application, you will need to include a time-based outline of the presentations and Curriculum Vitae for the presenter(s). If you are asking for pharmacy credit for part of the program, be sure to mark which time periods on the schedule that you are requesting it for. Applications of five pages or less may be faxed to OBNM. Remember: You should apply prior to attendance if possible. If you apply for credit more than thirty days after attending the program, it may not be reviewed for approval.
Q: I practice out of state. What qualifies for CE credit for my license?
A: Oregon Administrative Rule OAR 850-040-0210 specifies what programs qualify for CE credit for all licensees. OAR 850-030-0195 clarifies the number of hours that must be obtained in a year per license status.
Q: What if I am short hours at the end of the year? Is there a grace period?
A: There is no grace period for Naturopathic physicians that have not fulfilled the requirement by December 15. A fine will be charged, and the CE must be obtained by December 31 or your license will expire for non-compliance, and you will not be allowed to practice until you restore your license to good standing.

How are we doing?  
Please take a minute and complete our customer service survey. 
Your opinion matters to us. Thank you.
Do you have a question for the Board that you cannot find an answer for on this site? 
Please give us a call or send your question to Ask Us