Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Common Questions: Naturopathic Physicians
Office Practices
Q: What is Informed Consent and what do I as a doctor need to do about it?
A: Informed consent is the information a doctor shares with a patient about the risks involved with any treatment. As a legal requirement in Oregon (ORS 677.097), it is the responsibility of every doctor to know that every patient has the right to know what the risks are with any treatment offered. 

The Board highly recommends that a ND chart the informed consent shared with your patient in that patient’s file.  Although it is a legal requirement, it does not have to be written. 
Q: What are some guidelines for patient charting?
A:  There are no rules governing your charting practices; however there are some basic reasons for keeping good charts:

 Please click here for more information about charting  

Q: Can the Board help me with getting my professional practice started?
A: No, you should check with local, county and state authorities on what is required to start your practice as a business. The state professional association may be a good resource for this information also.  

Q: Are there laws that require me to register my physician professional
corporation with the Board of Naturopathic Medicine?
A: No, the OBNM does not regulate business practices. You are responsible to file
your professional corporation with the Office of the Secretary of State per Oregon Revised Statute Chapter 58 or contact the Secretary of State’s office at (503)986-2200 with any inquiries.
Q: Are there any restrictions on the types of fees or the amount of fees a ND can charge? Are there guidelines on fees and prices a ND can charge back to patients for outside services (Labs)?
A: Naturopathic physicians cannot mark up the actual lab fee, but they may add a reasonable handling and collection fee to the bill to the patient as long as the bill is itemized. Refer to ORS 676.310
Q: What do I do if there is a break-in at my office and my computer is stolen?
A: NUNM has been kind enough to share some very good information on what you should do in this situation.  First, you should file a police report.  More information 

How are we doing?  
Please take a minute and complete our customer service survey at HOW ARE WE DOING  Your opinion matters to us. Thank you.
Do you have a question for the Board that you cannot find an answer for on this site? 
Please give us a call or send your question to us using the following link: