Continuing Optometric Education (COE)
COE Requirements are outlined in Division 70 of Oregon Administrative Rules chapter 852.
Every actively licensed doctor of optometry must complete at least 18 hours of clinical optometric courses each license year as a condition of license renewal. Continuing education hours will cover 12-month periods and be reported with license renewal applications. Upon written request, the licensee may carry forward excess hours completed in the prior license year to the current license year--licensees renewing online can mark courses for carryover after entering the required minimum 18 hours.
Of the required 18 hours, at least 9 hours each license year must be in the area of diagnosis, treatment, and management of ocular disease (TMOD). Credit will be given for no more than five (5) hours of live observation in an approved surgical facility per license year.
Law/Ethics requirement--Of the required 18 hours, every other license year licensees must attend and submit at least 1 Board-approved hour related to optometric ethics or Oregon optometry law and administrative rules. Licensees may receive one hour of optometric ethics/Oregon optometry law credit per year for verified attendance of at least one hour at an official meeting of the Oregon Board of Optometry. Courses that are designated COPE category "E/J" are not automatically approved for this required hour. Here is a link to the Board's website with approved law/ethics options.
The required hours of continuing education each license year must be of different course content. When the Board determines that a licensee has submitted a course or lecture essentially identical to another presentation submitted in the same license renewal period, credit will be given for only one.
Pain Management requirement--For the first renewal on or after January 1, 2020, licensees must report a one time pain management course offered by the Oregon Pain Management Commission. Changing the Conversation About Pain is OBO Course #820. It's a free course offered by the Oregon Pain Management Commission. As of January 1, 2022, all licensees must complete at least 1 hour of pain management education every other license renewal. The Board accepts the Oregon Pain Management Commission course or other Board approved courses. After the initial course/renewal, licensees can complete a COPE pain course if it's not in the EJ or PM categories. COPE courses must be completed on or after 1/10/22. Pacific University has two approved COPE pain courses: Treatment and Management of Ocular Pain: NSAIDs and Opioids and Prescription Drug Diversion Clinical Management and Protection (OBO course #1031 for pain management credit). Click here to go to Pacific Univerity's online CE courses.
Cultural Competency requirement--For renewals on or after July 1, 2021, all licensees must report at least 1 hour of cultural competency education every other license year. Courses can be OBO approved (see our approved course list on the right side bar of this page) or approved by the Oregon Health Authority. Enter cultural competency courses in the licensing system using OBO course #001. Enter the course hour(s) and date in the system--you can keep the placeholder name. Pacific University has an online OBO approved course titled How Did We Get Here?: A Discussion on Medical Mistrust, Discrimination, and Healthcare Provision in Black and Latinx Communities and Implementing Cultural Competency into Clinical Practice. Click here to be linked to Pacific University's online CE courses. As of 8/30/22, the Board will accept COPE approved cultural competency courses.
As of June 1, 2020 the Board will accept up to 5 hours of ACCME AMA PRA Category 1 in person courses. The courses must fit within the definition in OAR 852-070-0010(2) as TMOD credit.
Continuing Optometric Education Provided by Outside Entities. All continuing optometric education provided by other organizations must be submitted to the Board for approval before credit will be granted. Approval or denial of the continuing optometric education will be based on course information.
|Oregon Board of Optometry CE Overview|||
|Annual CE requirement||18 hours|
|Annual carryover maximum||18 hours|
|TMOD requirement||minimum of 9 hours|
|Observation hours||no more than 5 hours of approved clinical or surgical per annual renewal|
|Oregon Pain Management Course||1 time at first renewal on or after January 1, 2020. As of 1/1/2022 must be reported every other year. After initial report, licensees can report COPE pain courses (other than EJ or PM courses) completed on or after 1/10/22.|
|Law/ethics||1 hour of Board approved law or ethics training every other license renewal|
|Cultural competency||at least 1 hour every other annual renewal on or after July 1, 2021|
Approved Clinical or Observation Centers
- Cataract & Laser Institute of Southern Oregon (expires 3/23/24) OBO Course #926
- Eyecare Associates (expired 1/12/19)
- EyeHealth Northwest (expires 3/29/21)--Happy Valley, Providence, Good Sam and Adventist hospitals OBO Course #582
- Hollingshead Eye Center, P.C. (expires 9/23/23) OBO course #997
- Klamath Surgery Center / Klamath Eye Center (expired 4/1/18)
- Lane Surgery Center (expires 2/21/21) OBO Course #568
- Lane Surgery Center (expires 8/25/25) OBO Course #1098)
- Lasikplus (expires 7/19/2021) OBO Course #625
- Lasikplus (expires 9/14/24) OBO Course #1000
- McKenzie Surgical Center--Judith Sabah, MD (exp. 1/20/2025) OBO Course #1133
- Medical Eye Center (expires 3/29/24) OBO Course #957
- NVISION BEAVERTON (expires 3/16/21) OBO Course # 762
- NVISION BEAVERTON (expires 3/16/24) OBO Course # 925
- NVISION ROSEBURG (expires 4/1/2022) OBO Course #825
- NVision Tigard, Oregon (expires 7/14/2023) OBO course #883
- NW Eye Laser and Surgery Institute (expires 5/6/24) OBO course #966
- NW Permanente (expires 8/31/2021) OBO Course #664
- NW Permanente (expires 11/10/2024) OBO Course #1014
- Oregon Eye Consultants (expired 11/12/18)
- Oregon iLasik & Refractive (expired 6/22/18)
- Oregon Retina, LLP (expires 5/7/22; Dr. Edwards) OBO Course # 719
- Oregon Retina, LLP (expires 9/1222; Dr. Malihi) OBO Course # 779
- Oregon Retina, LLP (clinical observation with Dr. Edwards expires 11/11/23)
- Orion Eye (expires 5/21/21) OBO Course #603
- Pacific Cataract and Laser Institute (expires 3/11/2024) OBO Course #927--Clinical and Surgical Observation sites
- Pacific Clearvision Institute (expires 12/7/2025) OBO Course # 1127
- TLC Laser Eye Centers (expires 9/14/2024) OBO Course #1001
- Tower Plastics Oculofacial (expires 3/17/22) OBO Course # 780