Reports & Data | Assessment Results
Setting Modified Essential Skills Achievement Standards for Modified Diplomas
The following steps are for use in identifying a modified achievement standard on Smarter Balanced for the purpose of fulfilling the Essential Skills graduation requirement. A modified achievement standard on Smarter Balanced Assessment may only be set for a student who has an 8th grade Oregon summative assessment score in that content area.
- Identify the student’s 8th grade Oregon summative assessment score in that content area.
- Open the Percentile Table for that year and content area and find the student’s score in the Score column. Based on the student’s score, identify the student’s percentile in the Percentile column.
- Open the Percentile Table from the most recent school year that is posted and applicable content area. (The most recent posted school year is usually one year behind.) Using the student’s percentile from the previous test, find that same percentile in the most recent posted school year Percentile Table. Then identify the range of scores in the Score column that all have this same percentile in the Percentile column.
- The scores associated with this percentile are the scores that could be used as the modified achievement standard for this student. Using your district’s protocol, identify the specific modified achievement standard from within this range for the student and put this score on the Statewide Assessment page of the student’s IEP, cumulative file for English Learners, or other relevant documentation for students on 504 Plans or not on a specific plan.
- Repeat this process separately for each applicable content area assessment.
- The modified achievement standard that is chosen must be from within the range of scores identified through the percentile.