Skip to main content Homepage

Frequently Asked Questions

How does the "A Safe Place for Newborns" Law work?

Either parent can take the baby to a:

  • Hospital
  • Doctor's Office
  • Birthing Clinic
  • Police Station
  • Sheriff Office
  • Fire Department

There will be no legal consequences for making this choice as long as the baby:

  • is 30 days old or younger,
  • is handed to a person at one of the above places, and
  • shows no signs of abuse.

Do I have to call ahead?

No. A parent may take a baby to A Safe Place for Newborns at any time until the child is 30 days old.

Will I have to provide any information?

No identifying questions will be asked, however, it would help the baby if you choose to provide basic health information. You will be offered a form to give health information. You can fill out the form immediately or you can take it with you to fill out and send in later.

What happens next (to the baby)?

The baby will be cared for and will get medical attention if needed. Community Human Services Child Welfare will place the baby in foster care and start the legal process. There are many families who want to adopt a baby.

What happens if I change my mind?

If you change your mind, you can seek custody of the baby. A court hearing will be held on the first business day after the day the baby is left. There will be several court hearings after that date. Your ability to seek custody of the baby will depend on how quickly the court moves to end the parent rights.

For more information contact:

  • Juvenile Court in the county where the child was left.
  • Community Human Services Child Welfare office in the county in which the child was left.

Where is "A Safe Place" to take a baby?

  • Hospital
  • Doctor's Office
  • Birthing Clinic
  • Police Station
  • Sheriff Office
  • Fire Department

Who do I leave the baby with?

Leave the baby with a staff person at any of the places listed above. Remember you must give the baby to a person who works at the facility.

What's next?

  • You are free to leave at any time.
  • Call 211 to learn about programs that can provide you with support about this decision.

Remember, if you follow the steps above, and the baby has not been abused, you will not face any legal consequences for making this choice.

More Information

For more information on adoption, counseling, or other social service supports, call 211. When a parent cannot care for an infant, leaving the baby at A Safe Place for Newborns may be the best choice for the child. If the birth parent is not sure about this decision, an adoption social worker can help by providing information on available options and services for birth parents and their babies. Any birth parent, who wants to raise a baby but needs help, may also call the 211 hotline for information about who to contact for learning to care for and raise children.

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how