Skip to main content Homepage

Birth Parent Information

Allows a distressed parent to give up a baby safely, legally and confidentially.

No identifying questions.
No judgment or shame.
No one needs to know.

Oregon's "A Safe Place for Newborns" Law allows a birth parent (mother or father) to leave a newborn infant at an authorized facility. As long as the baby is 30 days old or younger, is handed to someone working there and shows no signs of abuse, there will be no legal consequences for making this choice.

This is a big decision.

Please talk to someone you trust about your situation and possible options. If you need support, want to talk to someone about this decision, or need more information on adoption, counseling, or other social service supports, call 211.

Our frequently asked questions page can answer many of the questions you may have. If you do decide to take your baby to "A Safe Place for Newborns" haven, you will not be required to answer any questions. You will be offered a "Letter for Parents," a list of phone numbers to County Child Welfare offices, and asked to fill out a voluntary health questionnaire about the infant. You are free to leave at any time.

What happens next?

If the baby needs medical attention, it will be provided. The professional staff person who accepts the baby will contact Child Welfare, and the baby will be placed in an adoptive home. There are many families who want to adopt a baby.

If you change your mind, you can seek custody of the baby. A court hearing will be held on the first business day after the day the baby is left. There will be several court hearings after that date. Your ability to seek custody of the baby will depend on how quickly the court moves to end the parent rights.

Where is "A Safe Place" to take a baby?

  • Hospital
  • Doctor's Office
  • Birthing Clinic
  • Police Station
  • Sheriff Office
  • Fire Department

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how