About the Farm Direct Nutrition Program
The Oregon Farm Direct Nutrition Program (FDNP) is a state-administered federal nutrition program that brings more than one million dollars to Oregon farmers each year. FDNP checks are issued to families enrolled in the WIC (Women, Infants and Children) nutrition program and to income-eligible seniors to spend with authorized farmers selling directly to consumers.
The green $4.00 checks are specifically for locally grown, unprocessed fruits, vegetables and cut culinary herbs. These checks are valid from June 1 through November 30 each year.
The updated FDNP shopper directory will be available in time for the 2020 season at myoregonfarm.org
Apply to be an authorized farmer or participating farmers market
Authorized farmers accept Farm Direct checks for the sale of their fresh fruit, vegetables, and/or cut culinary herbs.
To qualify, farmers must:
- Own, lease, rent, or sharecrop land to grow, cultivate, or harvest crops on that land in Oregon or a bordering county in another state, and;
- Sell their own produce at a farmers market or farm stand.
Before accepting FDNP checks, farmers must:
- Complete and submit an application;
- Participate in a brief orientation training call;
- Sign a three-year agreement, and;
- Receive an authorization letter and program materials packet in the mail from the state.
Farmers markets participation
FDNP-participating farmers markets are listed as shopping locations in the program's broadly promoted online directory.
To qualify, a farmers market must:
- Meet on a consistent basis at defined locations over the course of the season;
- Have at least three market vendors over the course of the season who grow, cultivate, or harvest fresh fruits, vegetables, and/or cut culinary herbs in Oregon or a bordering county in another state, and;
- Have at least one FDNP authorized Farmer available during all FDNP season operating hours.
To be listed in the online directory, farmers markets must:
- Complete and submit and application each season;
- Participate in a brief phone orientation (if a newly participating market or new market manager);
- Sign a one-year agreement, and:
- Receive a program materials packet in the mail from the state.
Reference materials for farmers and farmers markets
- Farm Direct Nutrition Program fact sheet (PDF) English | Spanish | Chinese | Russian | Vietnamese
- Guide for Farmers and Farmers Markets: Learn more about how the program works, FDNP banking tips and farmer stamp replacement
- Farmer information flyer (PDF) - Program updates addressed to farmers regarding the current season.
- Farmer agreement (PDF): Participating farmers agree to this information when authorized to participate in the program. A signed copy will be provided to the farmer in their set-up packet.
Farmers Market-specific materials
- Farmers Market Agreement (PDF): Participating farmers market managers agree to this information when authorized to participate in the program. A signed copy will be provided to the market representative in their market's set-up packet.
Contact for Farmers and Farmers Markets
Mail: Oregon FDNP Program, P.O. Box 14450, Portland, OR 97293-0450
Phone: 877-807-0889, option 2 I(toll-free)