Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Seller & Clerk Training Programs
Seller Training Program
Those who sell alcohol to minors may receive a reduced criminal penalty in court if they have completed an OLCC-approved seller training program or hold a valid service permit.
Approved seller training programs include all OLCC Alcohol Server Education (ASE) classes as well as other available courses. 
Employees can also get an alcohol service permit by completing an ASE class and submitting a Service Permit Application (additional fee of $23).

Clerk Training Program
If a clerk sells alcohol to a minor, or fails to properly verify a customer's age, the clerk must complete an approved training program. All employees working for grocery stores, convenience stores, and liquor stores are covered by this rule, OAR 845-009-0145.

If the OLCC determines a clerk sold to a minor or failed to properly verify age, it notifies the employer and:

  • The clerk must attend an approved training program within 45 days.
  • When the clerk completes the training, the licensee or liquor agent must notify the Commission within seven days, attach a copy of the course certification to the Commission-provided form, and send it to OLCC with a $10 administrative fee.
  • If the clerk does not complete approved training within 45 days, the licensee or liquor agent employing the clerk must not allow the clerk to sell any more alcohol.  Employers must notify the Commission if a program is not completed or clerk leaves their employment.
  • Licensees can be charged with Category III and Category IV violations for failing to follow this rule.  Liquor agents can receive a Notice of Violation.  OLCC can charge clerks who continue to sell alcohol.  Licensees and liquor agents should send clerks to an existing Commission-approved training program, or ask the Commission to approve their own program.
Applies to grocery stores, convenience stores and liquor stores. See list of approved trainers.
For more information, please see Forms and Publications.

For more information
503-872-5133/5114 in Portland
or 1-800-452-6522, ext 5133/5114, elsewhere in Oregon