Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image
Bernard and Emma Goldsmith House listed in National Register of Historic Places

Nov. 26, 2018

The Bernard and Emma Goldsmith House in Multnomah County is among Oregon’s latest entries in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Oregon’s State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the building’s nomination in their June 2018 meeting. The National Park Service—which maintains the National Register—accepted the nomination Oct. 25.
 
The Bernard and Emma Goldsmith House was designed by architect Edgar Marks Lazarus and exemplifies the distinctive characteristics of the Shingle Style architecture in Portland. The Goldsmith House, completed in 1892 for businessman and Portland's first Jewish mayor Bernard Goldsmith and his family, is the best example known from the peak of Lazarus's 1890s Shingle Style residences.
 
The Shingle Style is an evolution of the Queen Anne, with reduced ornament and fewer materials. A tamer version of the Queen Anne, the Shingle Style incorporates asymmetrical forms, wide porches, rounded turrets, and strong rooflines.
 
Emma Goldsmith was a prominent figure in the Jewish community in Portland, Oregon. She was a member of the Ladies Hebrew Benevolent Society, established in May 1875. Although a society for women, it was initially presided by men. That was until 1880, when Emma Goldsmith became the first female president.
 
Bernard Goldsmith was a Jewish immigrant from Weddenburg, Germany, arriving in New York City in 1848. Trained at his family's jewelry store in New York, Goldsmith took his entrepreneurial spirit and interest in jewelry out west during the Gold Rush in the 1850s. He created a jewelry company and opened general stores between California and Oregon, eventually settling in Portland in 1861.
 
Edgar Lazarus began practicing in the state of Oregon in 1890 as a residential architect. His earliest domestic work is recognized for bringing the Shingle Style to Portland. Lazarus later evolved into a civic architect, his work influenced by the Arts & Crafts, Richardsonian, and Jugendstil styles, and arguably his most famous commission was the Vista House on the Historic Columbia River Highway.
 
The National Register of Historic Places was established as part of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
 
More information about the National Register and recent Oregon lists is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on “National Register” at left of page).