Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image
Lewis C. and Emma Thompson House listed in the National Register of Historic Places

​May 30, 2018

The Lewis C. and Emma Thompson House in Yamhill County is among Oregon’s latest entries in the National Register of Historic Places.

Constructed ca. 1892, the Lewis C. and Emma Thompson house is located in unincorporated Yamhill County on land once part of Glenbrook Farm. While three generations of the Thompson family are associated with the listed property, it was Lewis C. Thompson, a farmer and businessman, and his wife Emma, who stylistically revised this house. The couple incorporated Craftsman Style features onto the house’s initial Stick Style design, resulting in a replacement of the old style with the new.

Significantly, the Thompson house represents the transition from nineteenth century Victorian era design motifs, which focused on verticality, applied ornamentation, and complex rooflines, to the early-twentieth century modern approach to residential design, which focused on horizontality, open floorplans, and ornamentation that revealed and celebrated structural elements. This change is well captured in the Thompson House and is a stark representation of one of the greatest shifts in American domestic architectural history.

Oregon’s State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the building’s nomination in their February 2018 meeting. It is one of 83 individually listed historic properties in Yamhill County in the National Register, which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.

More information about the National Register and recent Oregon lists is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on “National Register” at left of page).