June 21, 2013
The Independent School in Philomath, Oregon is among Oregon’s latest entries in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Independent School, originally a one-room school house, is located three miles south of Philomath. It is significant for the role it played in the educational development of members of this rural Benton County community from 1919 to 1952. The land for the school was donated in 1918 by Ernest and Anna Seehafer and the school was constructed in 1919 by Fred H. Seedenburg for then School District No. 19. The one-story, wood-frame building shares characteristics with a Craftsman bungalow residence, including front-facing gables, knee brackets, and a broad front porch. An addition was constructed in the early 1950s, which made the property more usable by the community. The school house continues to play an important role in the community today, serving as the Independent Community Club.
Oregon’s State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the building’s nomination in their February 2013 meeting. Over 100 properties in Marion Count are now listed in the National Register, which is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
More information about the National Register and recent Oregon lists is online at www.oregonheritage.org (click on “National Register” at left of page).