The purpose of the Oregon Office of State Fire Marshal (OSFM) Smoke Alarm Installation Program (SAIP) is to protect Oregon citizens by providing smoke alarms, at no cost, to Oregon residences that are otherwise unprotected. The program provides opportunities for local fire agencies to collaborate with the OSFM to address areas of their community at risk due to lack of protection provided by working smoke alarms. The program provides smoke alarms, materials, and funding assistance to eligible Oregon fire agencies for conducting a smoke alarm installation project in their jurisdiction.
The OSFM completed an evaluation on the program in 2015 and adjustments will be made to the program.
Steps to Conducting a Smoke Alarm Installation Project
- To be eligible for a smoke alarm installation project, you must complete a training on the program. Visit our Training and Events page to view upcoming training opportunities.
- Submit a smoke alarm installation program application (see below). Please allow 14 days for the project approval process and smoke alarm delivery.
- Receive smoke alarms and program materials from the OSFM within 14 days.
- Install smoke alarms within 45 days of receiving the shipment.
- Fill out smoke alarm installation/waiver forms for each residence where you installed a smoke alarm.
- Submit installation/waiver forms to the OSFM within 10 days of installation.