Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Explosives Program

State Requirements

The Office of State Fire Marshal will continue to monitor the Explosives Magazine Movement Reporting Hotline and reminds companies to report all magazine movements.

Both federal (27 CFR 555.201(f)) and state regulations require companies and individuals to advise their local fire authority of explosives storage on the day it commences. For the safety of fire department personnel who will respond to your property, it is important you report all magazine movements to the toll free reporting hotline. (See below for magazine relocation information.)

To reduce the regulatory and financial impact to businesses and individuals involved in the explosives industry in Oregon, the Office of State Fire Marshal supported the passage of SB 89 in the 2009 Oregon legislative session. This legislation allows compliance with federal laws relating to explosives to satisfy state statutory requirements. This law was implemented to eliminate duplicative regulatory requirements and streamline government regulations while continuing to ensure public safety. As of January 1, 2010, the date this law took effect, the Office of State Fire Marshal no longer issues certificates of possession and magazine registrations.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Explosives (BATFE) will continue to regulate all laws pertaining to the acquisition, distribution, and storage of explosives. Any individuals who do not currently possess a federal license or permit who intend to manufacture, import, distribute, or acquire explosive materials, or any individuals or businesses seeking to renew a certificate of possession or magazine registration, should contact the BATFE at (503) 331-7830.

For questions plese contact us at

Regulatory Services Unit

Explosives Program

Phone: 503-934-8285

Fax: 503-373-1825

Email SFM.Explosives@state.or.us



Back to Top

Magazine Relocation

Any relocation (moving) of an explosives storage magazine must be reported to the Office of State Fire Marshal by the owner or user who has physical possession and/or control of the magazine. The report must be made within 24 hours or less of moving the magazine. Relocation of a magazine is defined as moving a magazine any distance. The following information must be reported to the toll free explosives hotline at 1-877-459-9366 or email SFM.Explosives@state.or.us.
When calling the explosives hotline, include the following information about the magazine moved:
  • Date Magazine Moved 
  • Certificate of Registration Number or ATF Number Issued to Magazine 
  • Company Reporting Relocation 
  • Person Reporting Relocation 
  • Phone Number of Person Reporting 
  • Email of Person Reporting 
  • Old Location of the Magazine including the street address, city, state and county 
  • New Location of Magazine including the street address, city, state and county 
  • If changing companies or users, report the new company and users


Back to Top