Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Frequently Asked Questions

My child has been committed to OYA - now what?

The term “committed” describes the action taken by a juvenile court judge where a youth is placed into OYA’s legal custody.  The juvenile court judge signs an “order of commitment” which tells OYA if the youth is to be placed in foster care, residential care, or a youth correctional facility (YCF).  After a youth is “committed” and placed in OYA’s legal custody by the judge, OYA is allowed to make decisions about what type of treatment to provide a youth.  This may include:  
  • Placing a youth in a specific foster home
  • Placing a youth in a specific residential treatment program
  • Placing a youth in a specific youth correctional facility (YCF)
  • Releasing a youth from a YCF or Transition Program on parole
  • Terminating the youth from OYA’s legal custody
  • Revoking a youth’s parole and returning a youth to a YCF.

Another way OYA receives youth is through the Department of Corrections (DOC).  The DOC may place a youth in the physical custody of OYA so the youth can be housed at an OYA facility. 
If your youth was committed directly to a youth correctional facility by a juvenile court or placed in OYA custody through the Department of Corrections:

  • Male youth are initially sent to MacLaren Youth Correctional Facility in Woodburn for “intake,” which typically lasts for about 30 to 45 days. We assess their physical health, mental health, education level, and treatment needs. These assessments help us determine the right facility and unit that will meet the youth’s needs after they leave intake.
  • Female youth go to Oak Creek Youth Correctional Facility in Albany, which is OYA’s only female facility. When they arrive, we assess their physical health, mental health, education level, and treatment needs. We provide youth with a structured and supportive environment where they can get the services they need.
  • All youth, male or female, are assigned an OYA juvenile parole and probation officer (JPPO). The JPPO is one of your main contacts during your child’s time with OYA. He or she will contact you and your youth regarding the next steps in the commitment process

If your youth was committed to a program in the community, an OYA Juvenile Parole/Probation Officer (JPPO) will be assigned to him/her within two business days.  The JPPO will contact you and your youth regarding next steps in the commitment process.  
We will mail you a parent packet as soon as your child is assigned a JPPO or upon their arrival at MacLaren or Oak Creek. The parent packet includes contact information for your child’s case workers, along with important details about OYA and our programs.  You also will be invited to attend an initial meeting to help create a case plan for your youth.  This process is called “case planning” and involves many different people who work together as a team.  OYA calls this team of people a “multidisciplinary team” or “MDT.”  Parents/guardians and youth are core members of the MDT.

Back to Top

What is a Multidisciplinary Team (MDT)?

The way that OYA involves parents/guardians in the case planning process is through multidisciplinary teams (MDTs).  Case plans are written documents that identify each youth’s strengths, risk factors, and treatment needs while they are in OYA’s custody.  Case plans serve as a roadmap to help guide a youth’s path to success.  It is critical that parents/guardians be involved in the case planning process to help create the right plan.  Multidisciplinary teams have meetings that include youth, parents/guardians, OYA staff, and treatment providers.  These meetings are used to design and monitor the case plan.  The youth, parent/guardian, and OYA staff represent the core of the MDT.  Other professionals (e.g. medical staff,  mental health or other treatment staff, school staff,  mentors, etc.) may also be included in the MDT process to help a youth reach case plan and treatment goals.  Each member of the team brings different skills and interests that are essential to helping youth change their behavior.
The success of the MDT process depends on all members respecting and listening to each other.  It is the core MDT members’ responsibility to identify, evaluate, and resolve issues in a constructive manner as they arise.  Open and honest communication is essential.

Back to Top

Where can I connect via video for MDTs or visits?

Almost every probation/parole office has the equipment and capability to videoconference with youth placed in OYA facilities across the state.
For youth placed in a residential program, the program may not have the capability to provide videoconferencing.  If videoconferencing is not an option, most facilities, programs, and field offices are able to connect with parents/guardians via telephone so they can participate in the MDT.
For more information on participation in an MDT using video conferencing, please contact your youth's assigned Juvenile Parole/Probation Officer.  Click for a list of local parole/probation offices.

Back to Top

What is a Facility Administrative Review Board (ARB)?

The Administrative Review Board (ARB) is a committee that reviews and is responsible for all major decisions concerning youth movement and custody status in OYA facilities.  The ARB recommends the initial facility placement of youth and transfers to other levels of custody.  The youth will be placed at a facility best suited for his/her needs at one of OYA's facilities.  Although family support and involvement is considered, the youth may be placed in a facility some distance away from his/her family.
The ARB also initiates placements to parole, foster care, or the community. 
The ARB is different from a youth’s multidisciplinary team (MDT) in that the members of the MDT design and monitor a youth’s case plan. 
For questions about the Administrative Review Board, please contact your youth’s Juvenile Parole/Probation Officer or the facility they are assigned to.

Back to Top

What is Measure 11?

Ballot Measure 11, passed by Oregon voters in 1994, requires mandatory minimum sentences for specific serious and violent crimes.  These crimes are listed below.  The law took effect on April 1, 1995, and has been codified as Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 137.70 through 137.712 through 137.712.  Young people 15, 16 and 17 years of age who are charged with Ballot Measure 11 offenses are automatically prosecuted in adult court.  These young offenders are convicted and sentenced by the adult court to the legal and physical custody of the Department of Corrections (DOC), but are transferred to the physical custody of the Oregon Youth Authority for placement in a youth correctional facility. 
We attempt to offer similar services for offenders  transferred from DOC to OYA.  All OYA facilities provide reformation opportunities through a variety of treatment services, educational programs, vocational programs and work assignments.  These offenders at the age of 25 years are transferred back to DOC.   In addition, if an offender poses a behavioral risk or does not benefit from the treatment services, they may also be transferred back to DOC.

  • Murder
  • Attempt or conspiracy to commit aggravated murder
  • Attempt or conspiracy to commit murder
  • Manslaughter I
  • Manslaughter II
  • Assault I
  • Assault II
  • Kidnapping I
  • Kidnapping II
  • Rape I
  • Rape II
  • Sodomy I
  • Sodomy II
  • Unlawful Sexual Penetration I
  • Unlawful Sexual Penetration II
  • Sexual Abuse I
  • Robbery I
  • Robbery II
  • Arson I
  • Using child in display of sexually explicit conduct
  • Compelling prostitution

Back to Top

How much is it going to cost me now that my child is committed?

State and federal laws require the State of Oregon to collect child support payments from parents (both biological and adopted) when their youth is placed in state custody.  The money is used to reimburse the state for part of the cost of providing care and services for youth.  The Division of Child Support (DCS)  is the agency that arranges and collects child support.
The amount of support parents must pay depends on income.  DCS has guidelines to calculate the amount of the child support payment.  The OYA also has a pamphlet with additional information regarding child support.  This pamphlet is available at OYA parole/probation offices, OYA facilities, and from the OYA website -- click this link.
The OYA has a Child Support Coordinator who can answer technical child support questions.  The Child Support Coordinator may be reached by calling: (503) 373-7205.

Back to Top

How can I locate an OYA Facility or Parole/Probation Office?

The OYA website contains links to the address and phone numbers of all the OYA facilities and field offices.
You may also choose to contact OYA Central Support in Salem at 503-373-7205.

Back to Top

How can I locate a residential program?

Back to Top