HECC Strategic Plan and Framework
The Higher Education Coordinating Commission (HECC) works to improve success in higher education and training for Oregonians by ensuring an accessible, affordable, equitable, and coordinated network of college and career training programs.
One of the key responsibilities of the HECC, established by statute (ORS 350.075(d)), is to adopt a strategic plan for state postsecondary goals. Since late 2019, the HECC has worked with partners on developing a Strategic Roadmap for the future of postsecondary education in Oregon, focused on the needs for the postsecondary education and training system statewide.
The current framework guiding strategic activities within the authority of the HECC Commission and agency is the HECC Strategic Framework 2017-21. As an addendum and update to the comprehensive 2016-2010 Strategic Plan, the Commission in December 2017 adopted the Strategic Framework that has guided its strategic action in recent years. The Framework describes the Commission’s vision, mission, values and beliefs, and defines four key areas of activity that are used by the Commission to prioritize existing and future strategic initiatives.
- REPORTING to steer progress: Through advanced data analysis, evaluation, and reporting, HECC will build public and institutional commitment to meeting achievement goals and closing equity gaps.
- FUNDING for success: HECC will develop an approach to state funding for higher education and workforce that is directly linked to student success.
- Streamlining Learner PATHWAYS: HECC will promote clear onramps to education and training, reduce barriers for transfer students, and link graduates with careers.
- Expanding Opportunity through OUTREACH: HECC will develop a comprehensive outreach plan to ensure all Oregonians have access to affordable, relevant options for postsecondary training
These four Strategic Areas of Activity are aimed to achieve Strategic Goals for
- STUDENT SUCCESS,
- AFFORDABILITY, and
- ECONOMIC AND COMMUNITY IMPACT.
These goals are derived from the HECC 2016-20 Strategic Plan, adopted in February, 2016. This comprehensive document describes challenges and opportunities in higher education, and defines key priorities and strategies.
The strategic plan is anchored by the Commission’s Equity Lens, which commits the HECC to ensuring that its policy and resource allocation decisions advance equity. It also builds on the Commission’s Strategic Plan 2014-15, which set a foundation for the Commission’s efforts to “steer and cheer” the higher education enterprise.
To effectively exercise its functions, the HECC works in close partnership with campus leaders, governing boards, faculty, students, and state partners—playing a critical convening role for Oregon higher education and the communities that it affects.