SLPA Educational Requirements Details
|To qualify for a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant (SLPA) Certificate, you need to provide evidence of: |
- Official transcripts showing 45 quarter hours or 30 semester hours of speech-language pathology technical course work taken within the last 7 years
- Official transcripts showing 45 quarter hours or 30 semester hours of general education credit
- Written evidence of 100 clock contact hours of clinical interaction with 8 hours of consultation with supervising SLP.
See below for more explanation on each requirement.
Technical Course work
Technical Credits are acceptable for classes that are:
- Around populations that are disabled, disordered.
- multicultural populations
- Overview of disabilities
- Child psychology and development
- Speech and Hearing Sciences (SPHR)
Submit official transcripts showing the 30 semester / 45 quarter technical credits.
Any general course is acceptable except:
- Work study credit
- vocational tech in an unrelated field
- personal enrichment
Submit official transcripts showing the 30 semester / 45 quarter general credits.
Fill out the clinical competency checklist and attach your log of at least 100 contact hours to it. An applicant must also show quarterly meetings with their supervising SLP for a total of 8 hours.
If you are looking for a place to do a practicum, contact SLPs licensed by this Board in your area to develop an internship that is not observation only. Don't forget to log your hours.