Complaints and Consumer Information

The Real Estate Agency regulates:

  • The actions of brokers and principal brokers in the course of their professional real estate activity as described in ORS 696.010.
  • The actions of property managers while managing rental real estate as described in ORS 696.010.
  • Unlicensed individuals who collect or attempt to collect a fee for representing a person in a real estate transaction.
  • Unlicensed individuals who collect or attempt to collect a fee for managing another person’s rental property.
  • The activities of escrow agents as defined by ORS 696.505.


The Agency does not regulate:

  • Contract disputes.
  • Real estate transactions between private parties not involving real estate licensees.
  • Landlord and tenant laws.
  • The National Association of Realtors® Code of Ethics​.

The Agency cannot help you get money back or get out of a contract.

If you have a dispute or question in an area of law outside the Agency's jurisdiction, you may need the assistance of a lawyer. The Oregon State Bar has a lawyer referral service. Lawyers who participate in this service agree to do a first-time in-office consultation for $35 or less.​​​​​​​

The complaint process can take some time. The Real Estate Agency recommends that you discuss your concerns with the licensee first. If the licensee works for a real estate company, you may also try communicating with the licensee’s principal broker. 

Regardless, you may file a complaint with the Agency at any time.

If you believe a real estate or escrow licensee has done something wrong, you can file a complaint simply by writing a letter to the Real Estate Agency or using the Agency’s complaint form(PDF).

Send as much information as possible. Without complete information, the Agency may be unable to investigate a complaint.​

Note: All documents and materials you give to the Agency will become public record. Additionally, the Agency may give copies of those documents and materials to the person you complained about.

To file a complaint, please include:

  • A complete, readable description of the complaint.
  • Copies of any relevant or supporting documents you may have.
  • The complete name of the person you are complaining about.
  • A list of other parties that know any facts about your complaint. Please include their contact information (name, mailing address, daytime phone number, e-mail address, etc.).
  • Your complete contact information, including phone number. Failure to provide your contact information may prevent the Agency from opening or completing a comprehensive investigation.

Submit complaints to the Agency by:

  • Fax: (503) 373-7153
  • Email:
  • Regular mail:
    • Oregon Real Estate Agency
    • 530 Center St NE, Ste 100
    • Salem, OR 97301-2505
  1. The Regulation Division Manager, or the manager's staff, will review the complaint. The manager may contact other people involved to determine whether or not to start an investigation.
  2. If the Manager feels an investigation is warranted, the investigation will be assigned to an Investigator/Auditor. It may take several months for the investigation to be completed.
  3. When the Investigator/Auditor completes the investigation, they prepare a report.
  4. Based upon the report, the Regulation Division Manager may either close the case (with or without an “educational letter of advice”) or seek administrative action against the person’s license.
  5. If the Agency seeks administrative action against someone, that person has due process rights that allow an appeal of the Agency’s decision.
  6. If the person agrees to the administrative action proposed by the Agency (settles) or is not successful in appealing, the administrative action or settlement goes into effect. Administrative actions and settlements are published in the Oregon Real Estate News-Journal​. The action becomes part of the licensee’s or unlicensed person's record at the Agency, and the entire file becomes a matter of public record.​