You won't know for sure if you are eligible for Refugee Program benefits until you apply. In order to be eligible for refugee benefits, you must:
- Be a refugee. The term "refugee" also encompasses other groups who have been designated by the Office of Refugee Resettlement as being eligible for services as refugees. See what is a refugee?
- Have been in the U.S. for less than eight months
- Live in Oregon
- Meet the income standards
- Be at least 18 years old (if you have dependent children, you could be eligible for TANF)
- Not be a full-time student in college
If you live in the RCSP service area, please contact a local resettlement agency and ask for an application. See Refugee Service areas in Oregon
If you live outside the RCSP service area, please go to your local DHS self-sufficiency office and ask for an application.
If you have any questions regarding setting up an appointment, please contact your local DHS self-sufficiency office. For questions regarding refugee policy, please contact DHS central office at 503-945-5600.