Skip to main content Homepage

Required Identity Documentation

For U.S. citizens, you need each of these:

  • One proof of legal presence/identity. (Group A)
  • One proof of full legal name change, if your name has changed. (Group B)
  • One proof of your current residence address. This is the address where you physically live. (Group C).

For lawful permanent residents or visitors in the U.S., you need each of these:

  • One or more official U.S. Immigration documents containing your full legal name. (Group A)
  • One proof of your current residence address. This is the address where you physically live. (Group C)

Important information

  • One document may satisfy more than one group.
  • New residents must surrender all out-of-state licenses/permits prior to getting an Oregon Driver License/Permit/ID Card.
  • All acceptable documents presented for verification or proof must be valid and not expired unless noted.
  • All U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., and those authorized to work in the U.S. must provide a verifiable Social Security number, no exceptions.

Oregon DMV has the right to:

  • Ask for additional proof, or
  • Refuse any document.


  • Official government-issued birth document issued by a U.S. state, county, city or territory. (Hospital Birth documents and birth document that have been laminated are not acceptable.)
  • U.S. passport, U.S. passport card or U.S. Territory passport expired no more than 5 years
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    Certificate of Birth Abroad
  • U.S. Citizen Identification Card
  • A birth document issued from the Canal Zone if the year of birth was prior to 1980
  • A birth document issued from Guam issued on or after July 1, 2010
  • A Report of Child Born Abroad of American Parent(s)
    Permanent Resident Card or Alien Resident Card- not expired
  • A tribal ID card issued by one of the following:
    • The Confederated Tribes of Warm Springs Reservation of Oregon
    • Confederated Tribes of Siletz Indians Tribal Identification Card
    • Confederated Tribes of Umatilla Indian Reservation
    • Burns Paiute Reservation
    • Cow Creek Band of Umpqua Indians
    • Official Tribal Identification Of the Klamath Tribes
    • Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde Oregon
    • Confederated Tribes of Coos, Lower Umpqua & Siuslaw Indians
  • An official government issued marriage certificate/license
  • A record of Domestic Partnership issued by Oregon Vital Statistics
  • An out-of-state government issued record of Domestic Partnership
  • A U.S. city, county or state court-issued divorce decree, judgment of dissolution of marriage, annulment of marriage decree, judgment of dissolution of domestic partnership, or annulment of domestic partnership
  • A government-issued death certificate of spouse which includes a connection to your current full legal name
  • Any document DMV accepted as proof of legal presence
  • Any document accepted as proof  of identity, such as, County Corrections Proof of Identity/Date of Birth letter, an Oregon Concealed Weapon Permit/Concealed Handgun License or military documents
  • A verbal statement from any person living at the same residence address you listed on your application
  • Oregon vehicle title or registration card
  • Utility hook up order or utility statement issued by the service provider
  • Any document issued by a financial institution that includes your residence address
  • Any item delivered by the United States Postal Service, FedEx, or UPS sent by a verifiable business or government agency
  • Any document issued by an insurance company or agent
  • Any document issued by an educational institution
  • A U.S. government-issued marriage certificate or license signed by a government official
  • Rental/Lease Agreement that includes the original signature of the lessor or landlord
  • A loan agreement, payment booklet/voucher, or loan statement;
  • Paycheck, paystub, W-2 or 1099 tax form
  • An Oregon Department of Consumer & Business Services (DCBS) issued manufactured structure ownership document
  • Oregon voter notification card or voter profile report or
    Selective Service card
  • Medical or health benefits card
  • Unexpired professional license issued by an agency in the U.S.
  • Current Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status (DS2019)
  • Approved letter from Oregon State Hospital, homeless shelter, transitional service provider or halfway house dated within 60 days of your application certifying your residence address
  • Letter from Department of Veterans Affairs Rehabilitation Center & Clinics certifying your address
  • Letter on company letterhead from an employer certifying that you live at a non-business address owned by the business or corporation
  • Hospital Birth Certificate
  • Baptismal Certificate
  • Bail/Bond Card
  • Business Card
  • Check Cashing Card

Your browser is out-of-date! It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how