Instructions on Ordering Inpatient Hospital Discharge Data
The Office of Health Analytics makes public use files of patient hospital discharges available for a variety of purposes. The data has been de-identified using the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Privacy Rule’s Safe Harbor standard for de-identification. As a result, full 5-digit zip code information is not available in public use files.
Annual data files are available in comma-delimited format, accompanied by documentation, for calendar years 1994 through the most recent year available - currently through quarter 2 of 2013. The cost is $250 per year or $75 per quarter of data requested. The numbers of discharges varies by year, but are generally in excess of 350,000 records per year.
To obtain public use datasets please do the following:
- Review the The inpatient hospital discharge layout and example data set to ensure the variables are sufficient for your needs. The Office of Health Analytics will not refund fees.
- Please review our FAQ document.
- Download and complete Form D-1. In order to submit your information, download the public use data request D-1 form to your desktop. Do not complete this form while you are on the web, the data will not be saved.
- Enclose payment in check form (we cannot accept credit cards) and send it along with form D-1 to the address below. The cost is $250 per year or $75 per quarter of data. Please make checks payable to Oregon Health Authority.
After the request has been approved and full payment has been received, the data order will be sent out.
HCUP datasets are not fully de-identified and will require a data use agreement, study proposal and plan for maintaining confidentiality for access. Be aware that:
1. The cost is $750/year of data requested.
2. Researchers and all other persons with access to the data are required to read and sign an agreement with HCUP.
Please refer to the HCUP website for further information on ordering, payments and data use requirements.
Send forms & payment to:
Attn: Data Fulfillment Officer
Office of Health Analytics
Oregon Health Authority
1225 Ferry St., Suite C
Salem, OR 97301
If you have further questions, please contact email@example.com