Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
  • Side-by-side input needed



    COHVOPS (Combined OHV Operations) has recently been very active identifying and providing additional Class IV ATV (Side-by-side) trail opportunities in Central Oregon. User input has played a critical role in this process, and the agency continues to seek input from Class IV users to identify, clear, and sign new routes, as well as volunteer for trail work.  For more information, email Brent Jenkins at cbjenkins@fs.fed.us
  • Where to Ride
    Oregon has a diverse range of OHV riding opportunities, from the High Desert to the Coast Range and everything in between. Check with the land manager for riding area information before you head out.

    With the Forest Service's Travel Management rule, it is imperative you contact the appropriate Forest Service office to obtain a Motor Vehicle Use Map (MVUM) to know where you can legally ride on Forest Service lands.

    Click here for more information
  • Getting Involved
    Trail Maintenance
    Interested in volunteer opportunities to help with trail maintenance? Looking for an OHV club in your area to join or to attend OHV events? Want to know how you can help keep OHV areas open?
  • ATV Safety Training Requirements
    Trained Rider
    All operators of Class I and III ATVs must have an ATV Safety Education Card. 

    Youth under 15 are currently required to have their Safety Education Card, which will be issued after taking both an online and hands-on rider training course.

    Find more information about hands-on training click here.
  • ATV Permits

    Planning on a riding trip? There are several operator and equipment requirements for Class I, II, III, and IV ATVs you need to know before you go.
  • Safety Education
    Inside the OPRD ATV Safety Trailer.
    Every year, OPRD ATV staff attend several events statewide to promote the safe and responsible operation of ATVs. These events include County and State Fairs, as well as school functions.
  • ATV Grants-Online Application Process

    The ATV Grant Program utilizes an online grant application process. This system has been designed to streamline the grant application process and make the grant application more efficient.
    For more information, contact the Grants & Community Programs  Representative in your region. 
  • Oregon Dunes Designated Routes (10C) Project Update
    Banshee Hill
    The comment period for the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS) ended on January 24, 2013.  Approximately 1,300 comments were received.  Response to comments is ongoing and will be included as an appendix in the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS). 

    The FEIS and Record of Decision are anticipated to be available for public comment in Fall, 2014 with a final decision being signed in Summer, 2015.  Delays have been due to additional work needed with US Fish & Wildlife Service concerning the Western Snowy Plover.
ATV Classifications 




Whether you ride a Class I, II, III, or IV ATV, here is information about the requirements for each.

A Trained Rider Is A Safer Rider!


Permits & Permit Agents



Anyone operating their Class I, II, III, or IV ATV on public lands needs to have an ATV Permit. Below are links for information about what they are and where to buy them, the different classes of ATVs, rider operating requirements, and reciprocity.

Where to Ride
Resources & Links

Looking for information about laws and rules, volunteering for trail projects, or more? Above are some links that may be helpful.