Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image
Livestock identification


"We prevent livestock theft by denying a market for stolen animals through recording of brands and inspection of animals."
Back to Top

Brand history

The art of branding started with the Egyptians 4,000 years ago. Spaniards introduced branding to the New World as early as 1519 when the vaqueros of Spanish explorer Hernando Cortez burned three crosses into the hides of his cattle. Like other Spanish brands, the Cortez brand was patterned after a coat of arms.
By the time branding became established in the United States, symbols changed and soon a new language evolved around the brand to include Running W's, Rocking R's, Flying J's, bars, slashes, rails and boxes.
The earliest known Oregon brand belonged to Russell Dement who settled near Myrtle Point around 1849. Dement used the brand, not on cattle, but on five elk calves he used as pack animals. He later traded the elk for beef cattle. Dement's "D" brand is still in use today.
As cattle business grew, look-alike brands sprung up and cattlemen started fighting over brands. The result was a law in 1894 requiring that all brands be registered with county clerks. The law established a record of brand ownership in Oregon; the rancher who registered his brand first had the right to use it.
Disputes crossed county lines, however, and in 1915, a new Oregon law put brand recording in the hands of the state veterinarian. Brands became valid statewide instead of by county. To settle disputes, the 1917 legislature created a Brands Adjusting Board. The Board functioned until 1931 when the Oregon State Department of Agriculture was created. Today, the responsibility for recording and inspecting brands belongs to the Department's Animal Health & Identification Division.

Back to Top

Change of address

It is critical that a brand owner notify the Oregon Department of Agriculture when his or her address changes. The department mails courtsey renewal notices to the lask known address. If that address is not current, the notice may never reach the brand owner.
Animal Identification Brand office

Back to Top

Found or estray livestock

To report found or estray livestock send e-mail. or contact Jack Noble, Field Operations Manager at 503-986-4681.

Back to Top

Livestock districts/open range

What do I do about somebody´s livestock coming onto my property?
For this purpose "livestock" means cattle and all equidae (horses, mules, donkeys, asses, etc.).
Our livestock inspectors have no authority to do anything about emu or ostrich, bison, cervids, swine, sheep, goats or other "non-traditional livestock."
For information on livestock districts and open range

Back to Top

Oregon Trans. Certificate

1. This certificate will permit the transportation of any livestock consigned by the owner or
his agent to any place with in the state of Oregon.
2. If livestock transported does not bear the recorded brand of the owner, he should be
prepared to furnish other proof of ownership to the brand inspector at destination of
3. Arrangements must be made with the brand inspector by the owner for a brand inspection
for any livestock to be transported out of the state of Oregon. (503) 986-4681
4. Transportation certificates must accompany livestock being transported and must be delivered to the brand inspector when such transportation is to any point where brand inspection is required by law.
Livestock Identification
SALEM, OREGON 97301-2532
(503) 986-4681
Download a copy of the Oregon Transportation Certificate. It is a pdf form (36 KB), please print the form and fill in the information to have with you during transportation within the state.

Back to Top

Livestock Transportation Book

Created for use by law enforcement officials, this handbook gives an overview of livestock transportation requirements for horses and cattle. (These are pdf files and may take a while to download.)

Back to Top

Lost or stolen livestock

For this purpose "livestock" means cattle and all equidae (horses, mules donkeys, asses, etc.).
Our livestock inspectors have no authority to do anything about sheep, goats, swine, emu or ostrich, bison, cervids, or other "non-traditional livestock."
Send e-mail to report Lost or Stolen Livestock or contact Jack Noble, Field Operations Manager 503-986-4681.

Back to Top

One day horse sale license

The department must license anyone wishing to conduct a public sale of horses other than their own.  A tempoprary one day license is available for special sales.  If you wish to hold a public sale please complete the following application.

Back to Top

Transfer brand ownership

When a brand owner dies, Oregon law requires that an official Transfer of Ownership application must be completed within six months of the date of death. This applies whether the deceased was the sole owner or was one of two or more registered owners. By law, if the transfer is not completed within six months after death of an owner, the decedent's ownership rights (and consequently, the ownership rights of the heirs) are terminated..
To maintain continuous ownership of your brand, notify this office and file the Transfer of Ownership application as soon as possible after the death of a brand owner. Contact the Brand Recorder at 503-986-4681 or send e-mail for details of the process for your specific situation.

Back to Top