Statute / Rule
Oregon Revised Statute (ORS) 442.120
Oregon Administrative Rule (OAR) 409-022 (CURRENT, Effective 7/1/15)
OAR 409-022 (Effective through 6/30/15)
Effective 7/1/2015 Oregon freestanding Ambulatory Surgical Centers are no longer required to submit discharge records to the Oregon Health Authority.
ASC Discharge Data
Instructions on Ordering Ambulatory Surgery Center Discharge Data
The Office of Health Analytics makes a public use dataset available for a variety of purposes. The data has been de-identified using the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act Privacy Rule’s Safe Harbor standard for de-identification. As a result, full 5-digit patient zip code information is not available.
Quarterly and annual data files are available in comma-delimited format, accompanied by documentation for calendar years 2009 through the most recent year available – currently 2014. The cost is $75 per calendar quarter of data or $250 per year. The number of discharge varies by year, generally around 500,000 records.
To obtain the public use data set, please do the following:
- Review the Ambulatory Surgery Center Discharge Layout prior to requesting data. The Office of Health Analytics will not refund fees.
- Please review our FAQ document.
- Download and complete a Form D-1. In order to submit your information, download the public use data request D-1 form to your desktop. Do not complete this form while you are on the web, the data will not be saved.
- Enclose payment in check form (we cannot accept credit cards) and send it along with form D-1 to the address below. The cost is $75 per quarter or $250 per year of data. Please make checks payable to Oregon Health Authority.
- After the request has been approved and full payment has been received, the data order will be sent out.
- Research datasets:
- More detailed information for research and analysis purposes can be obtained from Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP) Central Distributor
- HCUP datasets contain protected health information and will require a data use agreement, study proposal and plan for maintaining confidentiality for access. Be aware that:
- The cost is $550/year of data requested.
- Researcher and all other persons with access to the data are required to read and sign an agreement with HCUP.
- Please refer to the HCUP website for further information on ordering, payments and data use requirements.
Send forms & payment to:
Oregon Health Authority
Office of Health Analytics
Attn: Data Fulfillment Officer
500 Summer St NE, E-64
Salem, OR 97301
If you have further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.