Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Travel FAQ

Through a joint agreement with the NASPO ValuePoint, the state has secured discounted, contract rates with Enterprise Rent a Car, National Car Rental (PA 9950) and Hertz Rent a Car (PA 9949). The price agreements contain the account code that must be given to the reservation clerks in order to guarantee the state rates. Enterprise, Hertz and National has provided our employees with a variety of payment options.

Note: When renting a car from Enterprise, Hertz or National, be sure to inform them of the state’s corporate number. This number will give the Enterprise, Hertz or National location you are renting from all of the information related to the state's contract pertaining to rental rates, insurance requirements and other information. Only state employees may rent vehicles using these agreements. ​

​Any state employee or agent of the state may operate the vehicles. There is sometimes confusion whether or not non-state employees can operate the vehicles provided under the Enterprise, National and Hertz price agreements. When ever a vehicle is rented by the state, that rental vehicle falls under the same rules and statutes that apply to state owned vehicles. They are as follows:

Agent means: A person or legal entity appointed in writing by a state agency to perform specific work. An agent is not an independent contractor. Agents, paid or unpaid, are subject to the direction and control of the agency. An agency may not call people “agents” for the primary purpose of justifying their transportation in a state vehicle.

Employee means: A person employed by the state of Oregon to do state business for whom the state withholds income tax, provides workers compensation coverage, and pays the workers’ compensation hour-tax. Under this definition, workers provided by a temporary employment services agency and Department of Corrections inmates are not employees. 

Vehicle use and storage: No person shall drive, operate or use, authorize or permit any person to drive, operate or use any motor vehicle as defined in ORS 283.305 for any purpose except for official state business as defined in ORS 283.305 and by the rules of the Oregon Department of Administrative Services.

In other words, when reserving a vehicle that is to be operated by a non-state employee, you need to ask the question whether that person would be allowed to operate a state owned vehicle as an agent or employee as defined above. If the answer is no, then that person should NOT be driving a vehicle under these price agreements. The price agreements state that the "traveler" is a person who is authorized to travel by a participant, however, per ORS 283.305, the traveler must fall into either the agent or employee definition. No other individuals are authorized to operate the vehicles under our price agreements with Enterprise, National and Hertz. 

The primary reason is the liability involved for the person driving the vehicle, the contractor and the state. Our price agreements include full damage and liability insurance coverage and if a person was involved in an accident operating a rental vehicle, and it was discovered that the person was not a state employee or agent of the state, the state could ultimately end up being responsible for a non-state employee or non-state agent accident.​

Yes. If you are in one of Enterprise, Hertz or National cities, you must use the program. If you are in a city and there is no Enterprise, Hertz or National location there, you may use another provider; just remember to purchase the insurance when renting from another car rental company​.

The car rental companies, nationwide, require this of ALL customers. This is for their protection when renting a car to an individual. However, Enterprise, Hertz or National will provide agencies that have a documented need with agency direct billing accounts.  All charges are accumulated and billed to the agency’s account. In this case, a credit card will not be required as Enterprise, Hertz or National has the agency’s account information on file. ​

No. Enterprise, Hertz or National contract covers ALL damage occurred while using the car rental contract. Also, the state’s insurance will cover any leased or rented vehicle opera​ted by state employees while on official business​

​The insurance coverage the state of Oregon provides for car rentals in foreign countries varies from country to country. Please call DAS Risk Manage​ment at 503-378-5515 to verify the type of coverage's that are available for the countries you are traveling to and to determine if you will need to purchase additional insurance from the car rental company. ​

Unlimited miles although you must pickup and drop off the car at the same location. Usually the airport you flew into​.

​You can do a one way rental program, but you will be charged a per mileage charge from the origin point to the destination. There are select cities where no one-way charges are provided, please review the contract for these cities. A seven day advanced reservation is required to do this. It is critical that you get the seven day reservation in, it will reduce the per mileage fee between the two locations​.

No. The state contact allows drivers 18 and older to rent a vehicle​.

You can either call Enterprise, Hertz, National or the travel management coordinator to make the reservation​.