Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon » Homepage

Do I need coverage?

Do I need coverage?

Workers’ compensation insurance provides benefits to workers who are injured on the job. Injured workers receive medical treatment and disability benefits if they are off the job due to their injury.

In almost all cases, if you employ workers, you must buy workers’ compensation insurance.

Am I an employer?

If you pay someone to work for you, and you are in charge or have the right to direct and control how the work is done, that worker is probably your employee. An employer with one or more subject workers must purchase a workers' compensation policy. All workers are subject workers except for those listed in ORS 656.027, which you can find on the Workers’ Compensation Division website. If you believe the worker is an independent contractor, you can find more information on the Oregon Independent Contractors website.

What if I do not buy workers’ compensation insurance?

If you are a business that has employees and you do not have workers’ compensation insurance, you may be subject to civil penalties. Worse yet, if an employee gets hurt on the job, your business will be responsible for all claims costs plus administration fees. The costs add up and can severely affect your business. Contact us for more information.

What if I don’t have employees?

There is no requirement to have workers’ compensation coverage if you do not have employees. However, there are policies available for employers with no employees. These are called “if any” policies, and they may come in handy for you if:

  • You contract with a business that requires you to have a workers’ compensation policy. The “if any” policy fulfills that requirement.
  • You are uncertain when you are going to hire someone, and you want to be prepared with an insurance policy when that occurs.
  • You want the peace of mind that a workers’ compensation policy provides if you suspect that you may have an employer/employee relationship with another business associate.
  • You want the protection that a workers’ compensation insurance policy affords if anyone files a claim against you.

You can purchase an “if any” policy only through the assigned risk pool (the “Oregon Workers’ Compensation Insurance Plan”). You can apply online at or call 800-622-4123 (toll-free).

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​Contact us

Call or text Caitlin Breitbach at 503-329-4260

​You can also email us at​