Skip to the main content of the page

Child Care

​Choose a child care provider

As your child's caretaker, you choose your child care provider.​

Finding quality, stable child care can take time and effort, but it’s an important thing to do. When you’re sure your child is getting quality care, you’ll feel better about leaving your child in care. Your child should feel comfortable with their child care provider and get the attention they need.

Quality child care ​means:

  • It is safe for your child.
  • ​It helps your child grow and learn.
  • You can count on it when you need it.

Tips for choosing a​ child care provider​ | Español / Spanish​ | 简体中文 / ​Simplified ChineseРусский / Russian | Tiếng ​Việt / Vietnamese

Get help finding quality child care (211info)

You can get help finding quality child care. 211info helps parents with the questions to ask child care providers so you can make the best choice for your family. You can reach 211info Monday through Friday from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. or Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Make sure your provider is approved

Before the provider starts taking care of your child, make sure they have been approved for payment by ODHS​​.​

  • ​The provider must meet all ODHS requirements. This includes passing criminal history and child protective services background checks.
  • ODHS does not pay for child care that takes place before a provider has been approved.​​

Tell us the provider you choose

Tell an ODHS worker the child care provider you choose. You can also call the Direct Pay Unit (DPU) at 800-699-9074​.

The provider will get a billing form after they are approved and connected to your case. Your provider needs to have the billing form before providing care. If the provider doesn't get the form, check with an ODHS worker or call DPU at 800-699-9074​.

The form will show:

  • The time period authorized for child care
  • The names of eligible children in your family
  • The number of child care hours authorized by ODHS
  • Your copay amount​​

Make​ your monthly copay​

You are responsible​ for making your copay to your child care ​provider each month.

  • When you pay, make sure to get a receipt from the provider.
  • If you don’t pay your copay, you will not be eligible for the program.
  • You may be able to make other copay arrangements with your provider like “bartering” (exchanging services for child care). If you do, be sure to get the agreement in writing.

Billing and payments

The ODHS Direct Pay Unit (DPU) coordinates billing and payments. They also process billing and listing forms. Please reach out with ​concerns or questions.​

Hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

By phone: 800-699-9074

By email:

Benefit limits

Child care assistance covers:

  • The time you are at work
  • Your meal time while working
  • Travel time between child care and work​

There is a limit to how much ODHS pays for child care.

  • There are maximum hourly and monthly rates.
  • See the maximum rates for your area.
  • If your provider charges more than these rates, you must cover the additional cost. This is in addition to your copay.

Tell us if something ​changes

You are required to report these changes to ODHS within 10 days of the change.

  • A change in child care provider
  • A change in employment status
  • A change in mailing address or residence
  • A change in membership of the filing group
  • A member of the filing group is discharged from the U.S. military and returning from active duty in a military war zone
  • A change in income above the ERDC exit income limit that is expected to continue

To report changes: You can report changes online using the ONE website or by calling a local office.