Child Care

​Enhanced rates are paid to providers listed on the Oregon Registry. Special rates are paid to providers that care for children or youth with disabilities. Below you will find more detailed information about these rates.

What is the enhanced rate?

In order to encourage providers to pursue training in child care subjects, and to reward those who make that effort, DHS is authorized to pay a higher rate, called the enhanced rate, to child care providers who are listed on the Oregon Registry.

How do I qualify for the enhanced rate?

Family providers and centers who are exempt from Office of Child Care (OCC) licensing must meet specific training requirements of the Oregon Registry if they wish to receive the enhanced rate. These requirements include:

  1. Having completed at least two hours of training on Recognizing and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect;
  2. Being currently certified in Infant and Child CPR and First Aid;
  3. Having a current Food Handler's permit;
  4. Agreeing to complete and submit proof of a minimum of eight hours additional training related to child care issues every two years.

The enhanced rate will take effect no later than 60 days after your name has been added to the Oregon Registry.

To be added to the Oregon Registry you must submit an application and proof you've completed the first three requirements. For more information or an application, call the Oregon Registry at 1-877-725-8535, or 503-725-8535 in Portland, or visit the Oregon Registry Online website.

To find trainings in your area, go to the online training calendar or contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral (CCR&R).

It is your responsibility to keep your first aid, CPR and food handler certifications current.

How do I get a higher rate for children with special needs?

​ Children with Special Needs

Providers may be reimbursed at the special needs rate when they care for children or youth with disabilities. This higher rate offers families more child care options in their area. The need must be verified. The “Special Need Child Care Rate Request​” form (DHS 7486) is not required but can be a helpful tool for parents to know what they should provide as verification.

Important: Providers may not charge families receiving help from ODHS more than they charge private pay families. Providers may not charge a higher fee or add charges solely because a child has a disability or other special needs. Here is more information regarding the Child Care Centers and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). You can also call 1-800-514-0301​.

High Needs Program

If a child or youth requires a much higher level of care, a supplemental payment may also be available. This is called the "High Needs Program" and involves an assessment of the child. The assessment is done, at no cost to the family or the provider, by a specialist from the DHS Inclusive Child Care Program.

If a provider identifies a child or youth who requires a much higher level of care, they should discuss this with the family and contact the DHS caseworker or the Inclusive Child Care Program at 1-866-837-0250 (971-673-2286 in Portland) or send an email to Once a referral is made, an individual assessment is done to determine if a supplemental payment is appropriate.

See the complete list of rates