Plan for disasters
The federal government requires state child welfare agencies to plan for disasters and major emergencies for the purpose of continuing vital services and ensuring that children placed in the custody of the state are adequately cared for and protected.
In the event of a major emergency or disaster, Oregon certified foster families must do the following:
- Within 24 hours of the event, call the toll-free Oregon Child Welfare Emergency Contact Number at 1-866-610-2581 (for Oregon foster families) and report your family’s status and well being. This number is specifically dedicated to emergency communication and will only be activated in the event of a major emergency or disaster.
- If you are forced to evacuate your home, ensure you have the following in your possession:
- The Child Welfare Emergency Contact Number: 1-866-610-2581 (for Oregon foster families)
- Each foster child’s medical card and placement letter
- Each foster child’s prescribed medication and supplies
Keep emergency contact information current
As a certified family, you must also ensure that the emergency contact information you provide at the time of your initial certification and/or 2year recertification is kept current. Contact your certifier if you need to update this information.