Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

Oregon Department of Human Services Search Site

How to Report Fraud

Client benefits fraud

You can report suspected client fraud related to state benefits (Oregon Health Plan, EBT cards, food, cash or child care benefits).

Report client fraud

Please choose one way to report. You only need to report once.

Report fraud online

Fax your complaint to:
503-373-1525, ATTN: HOTLINE

Mail your complaint to:
Fraud Investigations Unit
PO BOX 14150
Salem, OR 97309

If your electronic benefits were stolen from your EBT card, we may be able to replace your benefits.

See what to do if your ​SNAP food benefits or TANF cash benefits were stolen from your EBT card.

​​Can I​ stay anonymous when I report fraud?

Yes. Tell us ​that you want to stay anonymous when you make your ​report.

What happens after I report client fraud?

  • Your complaint is reviewed by a fraud referral coordinator.
  • We may contact you if we need more information.
  • The fraud referral coordinator will send the referral to the ODHS Fraud Investigation Unit, if appropriate, for the case to be assigned to an investigator.
  • If we find the client committed fraud, the case could ​be reviewed for prosecution referral.​
  • In order to keep the client's information confidential, we aren't able to ​report any information back to you.

Can I report people committing client fraud in other states?

No. Client fraud needs to be reported in the state where it was committed.

To report fraud in another state, please call that state's fraud reporting hotline, or visit the United Council on Welfare Fraud (UCOWF) website. UCOWF is an international organization that fights fraud, waste and abuse in social service programs.

Does a client have to repay benefits if they commit fraud?

Yes. If a client gets benefits they are not eligible for, federal and state laws require liable individuals to repay the overpayment.​

What counts as client fraud in Oregon?

Client fraud against Oregon Department of Human Services programs includes any illegal way of getting benefits like cash assistance, medical assistance or food assistance. It includes intentionally giving false information or not reporting information that affects eligibility and leads to an overpayment.

Some examples include:​

  • Unreported employment: The client does not report employment.
  • Unearned income: The client does not report a source of recurring income.
  • Unreported assets: ​The client does not report assets that exceed program limits, like real estate, vehicles, boats, motor homes, monetary holdings, etc.
  • Unreported child support: The client has unreported child support payments.
  • Unreported marriage: The client does not report a marriage that would affect their benefits.
  • Absent parent in the home: The client does not report an absent parent in the home. This includes stepparents.
  • Child not in the home: The client applies for or gets benefits for a child who is not actually in their home.
  • Household composition: The client gets benefits for a person who is not eligible, or they don't report the correct number of people in the household.
  • Address verification: The client does not give their real address.
  • Duplicate grants: The client is getting benefits under multiple names.
  • False identity: The client submits false identification to apply for or get benefits, or is working under a false identity.
  • Felony drug conviction or warrant: The client is wanted on an outstanding felony warrant, which may make the client ineligible for benefits.
  • Child care fraud: The client gets child care payments they are not eligible for, or reports a false provider.
  • EBT fraud: The client fraudulently uses their EBT card or lets an unauthorized person use their EBT card.

Provider fraud 

You can report suspected provider fraud related to the Oregon Health Plan, which is Oregon's Medicaid program.

Report provider fraud

Please choose one way to report. You only need to report once.

Report fraud online

Email your report to:

Mail your report to:
ODHS Office of Program Integrity
3406 Cherry Ave NE, 2nd Floor
Salem, OR 97303

Can I stay anonymous when I report fraud?

Yes. Tell us that you want to stay anonymous when you make your report.

What happens after ​I report provider fraud?

  • ​The Oregon Department​ of Human Services (ODHS) will investigate all reports of medical provider fraud. 
  • If you give us your name and phone number, we may contact you if we need more information. If you want to stay anonymous, don't give your name or number.
  • If we find that a provider committed fraud, we will refer the case to the Department of Justice or local district attorney. They will decide if they want to prosecute the provider.
  • If they decide ​not to prosecute, the case is referred back to ODHS for administrative action.

What kind of medical provider fraud do you investigate?​

We investigate all fraud allegations made against ODHS providers and contractors.​

Some examples include:

  • Billing for services that were not provided
  • Intentionally double ​billing for services
  • Billing for a higher level of service than what was provided
  • Billing for services provided by unlicensed or ineligible providers
  • Kickback schemes

Employee fraud

You can report fraud or waste by an ODHS employee or if you suspect them of misusing financial resources or equipment.

Employee fraud and waste hotline

 Call 503-945-5608

Can I stay anonymous when I report fraud?

Yes. Make it known that you want to stay anonymous when you make ​your report.

What if I’m not sure thi​s ho​tline is the right place to call?

Ask yourself the following questions:

  • Does the incident involve fraud, waste or abuse of state money or equipment?
  • Are Oregon Department of Human Services employees involved?

If you answer yes to both questions, please call the hotline.

Do I need to have evidence of the fraud or waste or just suspicion?

Evidence is helpful in any investigation but not required to make a report. ODHS will look into all reports.

What information should I provide?

  • Specific information, including names of people who might be involved or ​know about the matter
  • Dates, times and details of the incident
  • Any documentation you or others can provide

Non-specific reports of waste or fraud are difficult or impossible for us to investigate.

More resources

Report abuse or neglect of an adult or child

For information about fraud in other states: United Council on Welfare Fraud (UCOWF)​

Secretary of State's Government Waste Hotline (confidential reporting)

Social Security Administration (SSA), Office of the Inspector General, Fraud Hotline ​1-800-269-0271​

Oregon Department of Consumer and ​Business Services, Workers' Comp Fraud