Skip to the main content of the page

Behavior Support Services

​​About Behavior Support Services

Behavior Support Services are part of the Medicaid-funded Community First Choice State Plan Option. Behavior Support Services are provided by certified Behavior Consultants using Positive Behavior Support. 

Services are designed to support eligi​ble individuals​ and their care providers by reducing frustration, injuries, stress, placement failures and other concerns that can result from persistent and difficult behaviors.

Who is e​li​gible

Peop​le who are medicaid-eligible and are receiving Home and Community-Based Care Community First Choice State Plan Option services are eligible for Behavior Support Services if they have one or more of the following needs:

  • Client has or will receive a move-out notice due to challenging behaviors.
  • Client's assisted living facility, residential care facility, adult foster home, or in-home agency provider requests assistance with client behaviors that disrupt other residents or challenge caregivers.
  • Current behavior plan for a client is inadequate, not used or ineffective.
  • Client is in a new placement and has had a recent placement failure due to challenging behaviors.
  • Client has been assigned a special rate to support caregivers who are implementing a behavior plan.
  • Client is receiving as needed (PRN) psychotropic medications for specific behavior.​

What Behavior Consultants do

Behavior Consultants identify changes that can be made by the caregiver or within the person's environment. Services focus on support to address:

  • challenging behaviors
  • cognition processing
  • communication skills
  • self-help activities
  • impulse control
  • adaptive skills

How to make a referral

Behavior Support Services are authorized by Aging and People with Disabilities case managers. Anyone involved with the person's care can contact the case manager to make a request for BSS. 

  • ​Contact a case manager or supervisor at your local office​.

Once they are authorized, the Behavior C​onsultant will contact the person's primary caregiver, foster home provider or facility administrator to begin the process. 

​​Con​​t​​​​a​​​​​​​​ct ​us

Aging and People with Disabilities
500 Summer St. NE, E-02
Salem, OR 97301


Contact a case manager or supervisor at your local office​.

Behavior Support Contractors

Find a contractor in your area.​

Tech​nical assistance or issue resolution

Em​ail us