Skip to main content

Oregon State Flag An official website of the State of Oregon »

TriMet Transit Payroll Tax

TriMet Transit District

The Oregon Department of Revenue administers tax programs for the Tri-County Metropolitan Trans­portation District (TriMet). Nearly every employer who pays wages for services performed in this district must pay transit payroll tax.

The transit tax is imposed directly on the employer. The tax is figured only on the amount of gross payroll for services performed within the TriMet Transit District. This includes traveling sales repre­sentatives and employees working from home.

Who must file and pay?

All employers, including nonresident employers, who are paying wages earned in the TriMet districts must register and file with the Oregon Department of Revenue. Wages include all salaries, commissions, tips, bonuses, fees, payments to a deferred compensation plan, or other items of value.

Your payroll service may not be aware that you have employees working in the transit districts. If so, you need to contact the service regarding your reporting and payment responsibility.

When to file the transit tax

Your transit tax is reported quarterly using the Ore­gon Quarterly Tax Report (Form OQ). Make your pay­ment using the payment coupon, Form OR-OTC-V, or through the department's electronic fund transfer (EFT). For EFT information, call 503-945-8100 option four then option one.

How to figure the transit tax

Multiply the gross taxable payroll earned within the transit district by the current transit rate. The current rate should be printed in the TriMet portion of the Oregon Quarterly Combined Tax Report (Form OQ).

Exempt payroll

The following are exempt from transit payroll taxes:

  1. Federal credit unions.
  2. Public school districts.
  3. 501(c)(3) nonprofit and tax-exempt institutions (except hospitals).
  4. Insurance companies (except domestic insurers).
  5. Domestic service in a private home.

For more definitions of exempt payroll for payroll taxes, refer to the Oregon Business Guide.

ZIP code list

Use this list as a guideline to help determine if you have employees in the TriMet Transit District. Some ZIP codes may not coincide with the district bound­aries. For TriMet boundary information, call TriMet, 503-962-6466.


Clackamas, Multnomah, Washington

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes, contributions to deferred compensation plans are subject to transit district payroll taxes.​​

No, household employees’ wages are exempt from transit district payroll taxes.​​

Not all non-profit organizations are exempt from these transit taxes. Only the organizations with 501(C)3 status are exempt. Non-profit organizations need to send us a copy of the IRS determination. Hospitals are not exempt. The statewide transit tax is not included in this exemption.​​

No, Section 125 cafeteria plans are exempt from transit district payroll taxes.​​

Yes, tips are subject to transit district payroll taxes.​​

No, transit district payroll taxes are employer paid and based on gross wages for service performed in the transit districts.​​

Employees who are subject to withholding tax are subject to transit district payroll tax. If an employee only works a portion of time in the transit district, then only that portion is subject to the tax. Transit district payroll taxes are determined by where the work is performed, including jobsites and home locations.​​

Multiply the gross taxable payroll paid for work performed in the transit district by the current tax rate. The rates for TriMet and Lane Transit appear above. ​​

Depending on where your employees perform their work (office, job site, home, etc.), they could be subject to either the TriMet Transit Payroll Tax or the Lane Transit Payroll Tax. For more information, see publication Oregon Transit Taxes for Employe​rs.​​​

Contact us

Phone: 503-945-8091 or 800-356-4222