You are a hemp grower if you grow, harvest, and dry hemp.
Register before growing or handling hemp
- All registrations expire on December 31 of the calendar year and are not pro-rated at any time during the calendar year.
- You must have a copy of your registration number before growing or handling hemp.
- Hemp registration applications must be submitted with complete and accurate information.
- Incomplete applications or those with errors will not process until completed and corrected.
- Growing hemp prior to being licensed may result in not being issued a license and potential fines.
- Additional registration is needed for those wishing to produce or handle agricultural hemp seed. The agricultural hemp seed production registration must accompany either a grower or handler registration and is an option on both applications to include.
Important changes in 2022
New applications for 2022 will be available in December.
The 2018 Farm Bill and Oregon law requires a background check for 2022 hemp growers. To meet the new requirements, all key participants* must complete a background check. This includes fingerprinting. Only those with no felony drug convictions in the last 10 years will be eligible to be licensed to grow hemp.
ODA is still developing the process for applicant to submit their fingerprints and complete the background check process. We will send the primary contact on the application an email when that process is in place. The email will have important information about how to submit background checks. Watch for this important next step!
“Key participant” means any person listed on an application for a grower license and:
- If an applicant or key participant is a limited partnership, each general partner in the limited partnership;
- If an applicant or key participant is a general partnership, each general partner in the general partnership;
- If an applicant or key participant is a manager-managed limited liability company, each manager of the limited liability company as those terms are defined in ORS 63.001;
- If an applicant or key participant is a corporation, each person with executive managerial control in a corporation. A person with executive managerial control includes, but is not limited to, any officer of the corporation;
- Any individual or legal entity with an ownership interest** in the applicant or a key participant;
- If an applicant or key participant is a member-managed limited liability company, any individual or legal entity who holds or controls a direct or indirect interest of 20 percent or more in the applicant.
** “Ownership interest”:
- Includes any person or legal entity that exercises control over, or is entitled to exercise control over, the business. Control over the business includes but is not limited to the authority to enter a contract or similar obligations on behalf of the business.
- Includes any individual or legal entity owning the real or personal property of the proposed grow site, unless the owner of the property has given control over the property to another party via a lease or rental agreement or similar agreement.
- Does not include an employee acting under the direction of the owner or other non-executive employees such as farm, field, or shift managers that do not make financial planning decisions and that do not vote or exercise control of the business.
Cannabis waste and disposal form
Cannabis waste, determined by hemp grower, includes plants that lost market value due to mold, pest, disease or that will not be processed, sold, or transferred. Grower must request ODA approval within 10 days of determining something is waste and at least 7 days before disposal.
For crop failure, determined by a failed preharvest test or presumptive marijuana, hemp growers must request ODA approval at least 7 days before disposal. Cannabis Waste and Disposal Form
Hemp registration change of status report form - Fee required
Use this form to change a business name, add or remove a production area on an existing hemp registration, or to notify ODA that you will not be growing hemp. Change of status report form
Update contact information form for hemp registration
Use this form to change contact information on an existing hemp registration. For handlers and growers. Update contact information form