Skip to the main content of the page


​​​​​​​​You must have a license before you can grow 

  • ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​You are a hemp grower if you grow, harvest, and dry hemp. ​
  • All licenses expire on December 31 of the calendar year. License fees are not pro-rated.
  • ODA must receive all grower applications (renewals or new) by May 31 of the year you intend to grow.
  • ​You must have a copy of your license number before growing.​​
  • Send in complete and accurate applications. 
  • We will not process incomplete applications or those with errors ​until they are completed and corrected. 
  • Growing hemp before you are licensed can result in not getting a license and potential fines.
  • If you intend to produce agricultural hemp seed, you also need an agricultural hemp seed license.  

Reminder on background checks

Oregon law (since 2022) requires a background check for hemp growers. To meet the requirements, all key participants must complete a background check. This includes fingerprinting. Only those with no felony drug convictions in the last 10 years will be eligible to be licensed to grow hemp. 

If your application has been submitted to ODA and is complete, you will receive an email with detailed instructions on next steps. ​Be sure to check your emails. If you don't receive that email, please email the hemp program directly.

For more information on what a key participant and ownership interest are, visit the hemp rules and read the definitions.​

​SB 1564 - Hemp Grower License Moratorium

The Oregon Legislature passed Senate Bill 1564 (SB1564)​ during the 2022 Legislative Session. The bill requires ODA to adopt rules about a moratorium on new hemp licenses: 

  1. in counties that declare a state of emergency related to cannabis, and 
  2. that notify ODA of the emergency.  

Counties had until January 1, 2023 to notify ODA for the 2023 growing season.​

Counties with a hemp grower license moratorium in 2023

  • Douglas
  • Jackson​​

Counties with a hemp grower license moratorium in 2022

  • Douglas
  • Jackson​
  • Josephine​


Grower/grow site license application

Hemp grower and grow site license application

Research grower license application

Must be submitted with both a research plan and a destruction plan for review prior to approval. Hemp research application- grower and grow site.

Seed application - hemp

Hemp seed application


Cannabis waste and disposal form

Cannabis waste, determined by hemp grower, includes plants that lost market value due to mold, pest, disease or that will not be processed, sold, or transferred. Grower must request ODA approval within 10 days of determining something is waste and at least 7 days before disposal. For crop failure, determined by a failed preharvest test or presumptive marijuana, hemp growers must request ODA approval at least 7 days before disposal. Cannabis waste and disposal form

Hemp key participant change of status report form

Key participant change of status form

Hemp license change of status report form - Fee required

Use this form to change a business name, add or remove a production area on an existing hemp license, or to notify ODA that you will not be growing hemp. Change of status report form

Hemp sample request for growers

Use this form to request an official sampling from the ODA or an accredited laboratory. Pre-harvest sampling and testing request form

Request to cancel hemp registration

Use this form to cancel your hemp license. Hemp license cancellation form

Update contact information form for hemp license

Use this form to change contact information on an existing hemp license. For handlers and growers. Update contact information form



Farm Service Agency (FSA)

Information on how to report hemp crop acreage to the USDA Farm Service Agency as required under the 2018 Farm Bill and Oregon state law. FSA flyer
FSA video overview

Hemp complaint form

Use this form to submit information associated with a hemp complaint. Hemp program complaint form

Hemp grower responsibilities - Responsabilidades del cultivador de cáñamo

Process and responsibilities for hemp growers from registration through testing, harvesting, selling, and reporting. Proceso y responsabilidades para los productores de cáñamo desde el registro hasta las pruebas, la cosecha, la venta y la presentación de informes. Hemp grower responsibilities infographic
Infografía de responsabilidades de cultivador de cáñamo

Hemp requirements for naming harvest and process lots

Hemp harvest and process lot naming protocol (Exhibit C)

What to Do if You Fail a Pesticide Test for Hemp

Failed pesticide test handout

What to Do if You Fail a Pre-Harvest Test for THC Potency for Hemp

Failed pre-harvest test for THC handout



Hemp Program
635 Capitol Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4652
Fax: 503-986-4786

​​Sign up to receive email correspondence regarding industrial hemp industry implementation and regulation.

Visit the hemp license contacts and data webpage if you are looking for contact information.​