Skip to the main content of the page

Animal Health, Feeds, and Livestock ID

​​​​​​2023​​ Vesicular Stomatitis Import Restrictions
Livestock originating in areas with active Vesicular Stomatitis (VSV) quarantines are subject to additional import requirements. Visit for more information​
​​​​State and federal regulations regarding the shipment of livestock and other animals across state lines support efforts to prevent, control, or eradicate animal diseases and prevent livestock theft.

Animal owners are responsible for complying with regulations when moving animals across state lines. Your veterinarian can help you with this process.​

Extended Equine CVIs

​Oregon will accept Extended Equine Certificates of Veterinary Inspection ​that meet the National Assembly of State Animal Health Office standards.

Traveling to Oregon

Please visit the animal import requirements database  and choose the appropriate options to find out what is required before you bring your animal into Oregon.

As of July 20, 2020, an Import Permit will no longer be required for livestock imported into Oregon when accompanied by an Electronic Certificate of Veterinary Inspection, issued by an eCVI system approved by the National Assembly of State Animal Health Officials. The currently approved eCVI systems can be found at the ​USAHA website.

All paper CVIs, and eCVIs issued from systems not on the USAHA ​this list will still require an Import Permit issued by ODA within 30 days prior to entry.

Traveling from Oregon

Each state determines the requirements for animals entering from outside its borders. Talk with your veterinarian for assistance with this process. You may also call the Office of the State Veterinarian in the state of destination to learn the state's current import requirements such as the following:

  • Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI)
  • Import permit
  • Vaccinations against disease
  • Tests for disease
  • Statements about the animal disease conditions of the area or flock/herd of origin
  • Other requirements the state determines are appropriate

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) sets requirements for interstate shipment of some animals, for which there are state-federal disease eradication programs (cattle, swine, poultry).


Import Permit Information

Visit the Oregon online import permit page to obtain a permit. Import permits can only be issued to accredited veterinarians. Contact us for general information regarding import requirements. Oregon online import permit

USDA Pet Travel Requirements

When travelling with your pet(s), there may be animal health requirements specific for that destination. As soon as you know your travel details, contact your local veterinarian to assist with the pet travel process. USDA pet travel requirements website



Animal Health
635 Capitol Street NE
Salem, OR 97301
Phone: 503-986-4680
Fax: 503-986-4734
​​​​USDA Tumwater Area Office
1550 Irving Street SW, Ste 100
Tumwater, WA 98512
Phone: 360-753-9430