Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Changing Your Sex Designation on Your DL or ID
How to Apply

You may request to change the sex designation on your driver license or ID card when you apply to renew or replace your existing card. To do so you must:

  • Make the request in-person at a DMV office;
  • Be qualified to renew or replace your current card;
  • Surrender your current card;
  • Submit a completed application;
  • Pay the applicable fee; and
  • Present one of the following documents:
    • A DMV Change of Gender Designation Form (Form 735-7401);
    • A certified court order of sex change;
    • A U.S. government-issued birth record amended with the desired sex designation; or
    • A U.S. passport amended with the desired sex.

You may also request to change your name as part of this request. To do so you must present proof of a legal name change.

NOTE: Beginning in July, you can request to change the sex identifier on your driver license, driver permit or identification card to an “X” for not-specified. To do this you will need to apply for a renewal or replacement, complete the Driver License/ID Card Application marking the desired sex identifier, and pay the applicable fee. This page will be updated removing the above requirements after June 30.  

Privacy of Information Relating to Gender Designation

The information you provide to DMV when changing your gender designation will be kept confidential.