When you get new Oregon license plates, you will receive both month and year validation tags/stickers for each plate issued. Note: Permanently registered license plates do not receive tags/stickers and some license plates require a combination month & year tag/sticker.
Month tags/stickers contain a single number (1 through 12) denoting the month of expiration. Year tags/stickers contain a two-digit number 06, 07, 08, etc. denoting the year of expiration. Combination tags/stickers contain both a single number (1 through 12) denoting the month of expiration and a two-digit number 06, 07, 08, etc. denoting the year of expiration.
When you renew the registration for most vehicles, you will only receive new year tag/stickers, as the registration month does not change. Contact DMV
for a replacement if your month tag/sticker is damaged, missing, or was applied to the plate in the wrong place. Tag/Sticker Placement
Apply tags/stickers only in designated areas on license plates
(see examples below). Tags/Stickers must be readable on license plates and plate frames must not cover them.
To apply tags/stickers:
- Affix the year tag/sticker on the bottom right side of the license plate.
- Affix the month tag/sticker on the bottom left side of the license plate.
- Affix combination month & year tag/sticker on the bottom center of the license plate.
- Apply tags/stickers to both front and rear license plates when a set of two plates is issued.
- You may affix new tags/stickers directly on top of old tags/stickers (remove dirt and grease on old tag/sticker before applying new tag/sticker).
Tree, Pacific Wonderland, Salmon, Crater Lake, Cultural Trust, Wine Country & Veteran Group Plates all have the "Month" and "Year" tag/sticker areas clearly identified:
Yellow background plates have indentations on bottom left and right for the tags/stickers:
A few types of yellow background plates, like the heavy truck plate shown below, receive a combined month and year tag/sticker that is placed on the bottom middle of each plate:
For other examples of tag/sticker placement, refer to the Oregon License Plate Manual