Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Dealer Complaints


This page provides information about filing complaints against Oregon vehicle dealers.  The DMV Business Regulation section handles some complaints about vehicle dealers, however, many complaints must be referred to other agencies (see the Complaints NOT Handled By DMV Business Regulation section below for more information). 
Use the links below to go directly to any section:
Complaints NOT Handled By DMV Business Regulation
DMV Business Regulation does not handle vehicle purchase related complaints, such as:
  • I purchased a vehicle from a dealer and it will not pass DEQ emissions testing.
  • I purchased a vehicle from a dealer and there are various mechanical problems with it.
  • I purchased a vehicle from a dealer and I found out later it has been totaled and reconstructed, but the dealer will not give me my money back.
  • I purchased a vehicle from a dealer and I think the dealer lied to me about the mileage or have reason to believe that the mileage was misstated or rolled back.
  • I purchased a vehicle from a dealership and they are refusing to honor the warranty.
  • The dealer stated that I should take the vehicle to my mechanic prior to buying the vehicle so I gave them a deposit and had the vehicle checked. Now I do not wish to purchase the vehicle but the dealer will not refund my deposit.
  • The dealer wants me to sign a new contract because the original financing did not go through.
  • I changed my mind about the vehicle purchase. Is there a "cooling off" period?
For these types of complaints you may contact the Oregon Department of Justice (DOJ) for assistance. They may be reached by phone at (503) 378-4320 or (503) 229-5576 (Portland Metro area), or you can access their Financial Fraud/Consumer Protection site. Also, you may want to seek legal counsel on your rights and remedies.
Also, DMV Business Regulation does not handle auto safety related complaints, such as:
  • Vehicle safety concerns
  • Vehicle equipment defects and failures
  • Air bags and child safety seats
  • Vehicle recalls
  • Highway traffic safety information
For these types of complaints and inquiries you may contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) via their online complaint form or call their Hotline.

How to File Complaints With DMV Business Regulation
To file a dealer complaint, you must:
  • Complete the Request for Investigation (Form 735-6504 - Fillable):
    • You can access the form by clicking on the preceding name, by calling DMV at (503) 945-5000 or (503) 299-9999 (Portland Metro), or you can pick one up at any DMV office);
  • Sign and date the form;
  • Attach legible copies of any supporting materials you have (e.g., contract, purchase order, receipts, canceled checks, etc.); and 
  • Mail the completed form and supporting materials to:<
DMV Business Regulation
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem , OR 97314
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact the DMV Business Regulation section.
Note: A DMV Investigator cannot act as an attorney or give you legal advice. You may wish to consult with a private attorney to determine your rights and remedies.

After Filing a Complaint With DMV Business Regulation
After a dealer complaint is filed, you will receive a letter with contact information for the investigator to whom the complaint has been assigned. If you have additional information to provide, or have questions about the investigation, please contact the assigned investigator.

Related Information

Additional information that may be relevant includes: