Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Vehicle Transporter Certificate


This page provides information about qualifying and applying for a Vehicle Transporter Certificate.
Use the links below to go directly to any section:
General Information
A Vehicle Transporter Certificate authorizes an individual to drive or tow any for-sale unregistered vehicles from outside Oregon or from a manufacturer or vehicle dealer within this state, to a prospective buyer, manufacturer or vehicle dealer in this state or any other state, territory or foreign country with which Oregon has reciprocity. Vehicles include, but are not limited to cars, trucks, motorhomes and motorcycles.

In order to qualify and apply, you must:
  • Complete an Application for Vehicle Transporter Certificate (Form 735-379), which includes ownership information and use of the transporter plates;
  • Pay a $150 certificate fee; and
  • Pay an $17 fee for each original or additional plate requested.
Note: Additional application details are included in the application form.
You may print the application form on your computer, or you may obtain a hardcopy form by calling DMV Business Regulations at (503) 945-5052.  
You may submit your completed application, supporting materials and payment by mail or in person to our office at:
Driver and Motor Vehicle Services
Business Regulation
1905 Lana Ave NE
Salem, OR 97314
Service counter hours are 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday thru Friday (excluding statewide and holiday closures).
For more information you may contact DMV Business Regulations at (503) 945-5052.
A Vehicle Transporter Certificate is valid for one year from the date of issuance.
To renew, you must submit another properly completed Application for Vehicle Transporter Certificate (Form 735-379), and pay the applicable fees (see the Qualify/Apply section above). Do not complete the fee information on the form; instead, use the plate billing list. The billing list must be submitted with your renewal application.

Relevant Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS)
Links to applicable statutes are provided below:
Note: In using the links above, you may need to scroll down to find the correct ORS or OAR reference.

Related Information
Additional information that may be relevant includes: