In order to qualify to become a Third Party CDL Tester/Examiner you must meet the following requirements:
- Hold a valid commercial driver license for a minimum of 3 years before applying;
- Successfully complete a training program (costing approximately $1,200 - $3,600 dependent on class size, vehicle availability, etc.);
- Provide a current insurance certificate which maintains a minimum of $1 million of commercial general liability coverage listing the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) as an additional insured. $1 million of auto liability coverage is also required if the tester provides the vehicle used for testing;
- Enter into a Third Party CDL Tester agreement with ODOT/DMV; and
- Provide evidence of at least 3 years experience operating commercial motor vehicles or 2 years experience training or testing commercial motor vehicle operators.
- An e-mail address with Internet access and basic computer skills.
In addition, applicants should have strong administrative and business skills. To Apply
If you feel you qualify and are interested in becoming a Third Party CDL Tester, please call (503) 945-5282 to receive a Third Party CDL Tester application packet, which includes the following:
- A copy of the Oregon Administrative Rules outlining the eligibility qualifications and responsibilities for both the Third Party CDL Tester and Third Party CDL Examiner;
- A sample of the Third Party CDL Tester agreement (to be completed by an individual or employer);
- A Third Party CDL Tester application (to be completed by an individual or an employer);
- A Third Party CDL Examiner application (to be completed by an individual employed by a Third Party CDL Tester);
- Authorization to conduct a criminal background check; and
- Authorization to receive tax compliance information from the Oregon Department of Revenue.
Before we can send an application packet, we will need the business name (preferably registered with the Corporate Division of the Oregon Secretary of State), address and phone number of the Third Party CDL Tester applicant along with the name, address, phone number and driver license number of any individuals who will be applying to become a Third Party CDL Examiner.