Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Your Responsibilities in an Accident


Vehicles that have collidedThis page provides information about the driver's responsibilities in a traffic accident. 
Use the links below to go directly to any section:
Reporting Responsibilities

After having had a traffic accident or collision you must submit an Accident and Insurance Report (Form 735-32) to DMV within 72 hours if the accident meets certain criteria

Note: If you would like to maintain a record of your accident report, be sure to make a copy before sending the original to DMV.

Full Responsibilities
If you have a traffic accident or collision, you must:
  • Stop at Once
    Stop at the accident scene or as close as possible without needlessly blocking or endangering other traffic. "Hit and run" is a serious traffic crime. Conviction will mean your driving privileges will be revoked or suspended.
  • Render Aid
    Give any reasonable aid to injured persons. Remember, injured people should never be moved carelessly. In many cases, they should not be moved at all until it is possible to get an ambulance or someone trained in first aid to the scene. If a driver is involved in an accident in which a person is killed or rendered unconscious, the driver is required to remain at the scene of the accident until a police officer arrives. Failure to do so is classified and punishable as a "hit and run."
  • Exchange Information (printable checklist to keep in your car)
    Give to the other driver, passengers in the vehicle, or any injured pedestrian your: 
    • Name;
    • Address;
    • Driver license number;
    • License plate number of your vehicle; and
    • Your insurance information.
  • Report the Accident to DMV
Note: If you would like to maintain a record of your accident report, be sure to make a copy before sending the original to DMV. 

Unattended Vehicles
If you hit an unoccupied vehicle, try to find the owner. If you cannot find the owner, leave a note that identifies you as the person who hit the unattended vehicle and how to contact you. By law, ORS 811.700(1)(B), you are required to write your name and address on the note, and a brief description of what happened.
If you damage property other than a motor vehicle, you also must try to find the owner or someone in charge of the property to report the damage.

If you hit and injure an animal, stop and make an effort to check the extent of injury. Give reasonable attention to the animal. What you can do may vary with traffic hazards at the time or the animal's demeanor. If possible, you should try to get the animal out of the way of traffic. Immediately report the animal's injuries to its owner. If you are unable to locate the owner, report the injuries to the nearest police agency.

Removing Your Vehicle from a Highway Crash Site
If you are involved in a crash or collision on the highway, you have no injury, and it is safe to drive your vehicle to the shoulder of the highway or to a designated parking area, move your vehicle from the crash site.  This helps minimize the obstruction of traffic and you will avoid being cited for failure to remove your motor vehicle.

Related Information
Additional information that may be relevant includes: