Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Replacing a Driver License or Permit

This page provides information about replacing a driver license or permit.

If your driving privileges are not currently suspended or revoked in Oregon or another state, DMV will issue a replacement driver license or an instruction permit if any of the following conditions are true:

  • Your license or permit is lost, stolen, mutilated or destroyed;
  • Your residence and/or mailing address changes and you choose to get a new card;
  • You have a name change;
  • You are exchanging a valid-without photo license for a driver license with a photograph;
  • You are replacing a license issued with an error;
  • You are obtaining a license after reinstatement of a suspension; or
  • You are replacing a license confiscated by law enforcement or the courts.
To Qualify/Apply

You must apply in person at a DMV office, and you must:

After you meet all of the requirements, you will be issued an interim card to use until you receive your license or permit in the mail

If your driver license or permit is about to expire or will expire in the next 14 months you may be able to renew. If you are eligible to renew when you apply for a replacement we may ask you if you would prefer to renew in lieu of replacing your driver license or permit.

If you surrendered a previous driver license, permit or identification card, it will be hole-punched and returned to you. The hole-punched card is not valid by itself, but may be used as additional proof of identity with the interim card.

If you are temporarily outside of the state and cannot come to an Oregon DMV office, you may be eligible for a Valid With Previous Photo Driver License. Call DMV at (503) 945-5000, submit a driver-related online inquiry or write DMV requesting information.

Replacing an Address Sticker

If your address sticker is mutilated or has become illegible and you still reside at the same address, you can request a replacement sticker at no cost by calling DMV at (503) 945-5000 or submitting a driver-related online inquiry and specifying your request in Step 3B of the form.

Note: If you are only requesting a replacement address sticker do not complete another 'Change of Address Notice."

Related Information

Additional information that may be relevant includes: