Commercial drivers are required to take one or more knowledge tests, depending on what class of license and what endorsements are needed. Information needed to pass the tests is in the Oregon Commercial Motor Vehicle Manual. The tests are offered in English only and translators are not permitted.
You must pay test fees prior to taking any test. Be prepared to make separate payments for your testing and licensing fees.
CDL Knowledge Tests:
- General Knowledge Test - Required for all applicants.
- Passenger Endorsement Test - Required to operate vehicles carrying 16 persons or more, including the driver.
- Air Brakes Test - Required to operate vehicles with air brakes.
- Combination Vehicles Test - Required to operate vehicles in combination (Class A).
- Hazardous Materials Endorsement Test - Required to haul hazardous materials or waste in amounts which require placards. To renew a CDL with a hazardous materials endorsement you must successfully re-complete the hazardous materials endorsement test prior to renewal.
- Tank Endorsement Test - Required to haul liquids or gas in bulk.
- Doubles/Triples Endorsement Test - Required to pull double or triple trailers.
- School Bus Endorsement Test - Required to transport pre-primary, primary or secondary school students from home to school, from school to home, or to and from school sponsored events.
Note: Refer to the "What Sections Should You Study" table in the Oregon Commercial Motor Vehicle Manual to determine the specific sections to study in order to obtain the desired endorsement(s). Endorsement exams cover not only material from individual endorsement sections, but also from the section on driving safely. You will need to be familiar with the driving safely section when applying for any CDL classification or endorsement.
If You Have a CDL from Another Jurisdiction:
DMV will waive all CDL knowledge tests EXCEPT the Hazardous Materials Endorsement Test if you surrender a current, valid CDL from another jurisdiction for a comparable Oregon CDL.