Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Odometer Disclosure
General Information

If your vehicle is less than 10 years old, you must turn in an odometer disclosure when transferring a title.

You do NOT need an odometer disclosure for:

  • Vehicles not manufactured with an odometer;
  • Vehicles 10 years old or older; 
  • Vehicles that are not self-propelled, such as trailers or campers; 
  • Vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) over 16,000 pounds; 
  • Class 1 ATVs; 
  • Snowmobiles; and 
  • Title transfers when at least one owner is staying on the title.

The seller and buyer of a vehicle must complete the odometer disclosure. Use the space on the back of the title to disclose the odometer reading.  If this area is already used, you may use a Secure Odometer Disclosure, Form 735-403 (contact DMV to get this form).
If the title is lost or destroyed, and your vehicle is less than 10 years old, you must first get a replacement title.  Once you receive the new title, you can disclose the odometer reading on the back of it.
If you are transferring your out-of-state vehicle to Oregon, provide the current odometer reading on your Application for Title and Registration (Form 735-226).

Kilometers or Miles
Do not convert kilometers to miles. Your title will show the reading without referencing miles or kilometers.
Broken Odometer
If your digital odometer display is blank, note that the odometer is "not readable."
If the odometer is stuck and is no longer in working order, provide the odometer reading and note the mileage is "not actual."
An odometer brand of "not readable" or "not actual" cannot be removed from the title.

Odometer Rolled Over
Provide the odometer reading as it appears on the odometer and indicate “exceeds mechanical limits” if the odometer has rolled over. For example: If your odometer has space for five digits and the odometer reading goes from 99999 to 00003, you would record the odometer reading as "00003" and note that it "exceeds mechanical limits."
Secure Power of Attorney
You can only use a secure power of attorney to disclose odometer if the title is lost, destroyed, mutilated, or held by a security interest holder. Contact DMV for further information.