Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Vehicle Permits

Trip Permits

Trip permits allow temporary operation of a vehicle on Oregon's public roads and highways. Trip permits are for vehicles that are not currently registered and/or for vehicles being used in a way not allowed under the current registration.  
DMV issues the following types of trip permits:
Click on the links provided above for more detailed information about a specific permit.

Parking Permits
DMV issues the following types of parking and miscellaneous permits:
Where to Buy Permits
You can purchase DMV issued permits at DMV offices located throughout the state, or from DMV headquarters by mail (access detailed requirements and instructions using the links provided in the sections above).
You can also purchase Sno-Park Permits from authorized agents (retailers, resorts, etc.), however, they can charge additional service fees.
If you need more information about DMV-issued permits, please contact DMV.

Other Permit Information
ATV Permits
Not issued by DMV. Issued by Oregon Parks and Recreation Department and their agents.

Manufactured Structure Trip Permits
Not issued by DMV.  Contact your county assessor to buy a manufactured structure trip permit.

Motor Carrier Trip Permits
You can also buy Heavy Motor Vehicle, Heavy Trailer, and Registration Weight trip permits at most Motor Carrier Transportation Division (MCTD) registration offices. To buy these or over-dimension permits, contact MCTD at (503) 378-6699.

Out-of-State Trip Permits
If you have a valid trip permit from another state for your vehicle, it is legal for you to drive that vehicle in Oregon.  You must keep proof of insurance in the vehicle.

Snowmobile Trip Permits
For use of out-of-state unregistered snowmobiles in Oregon.