Purpose of Project
The purpose of the project is to improve safety and connectivity by constructing an east – west arterial in the south end of Bend and eliminating the traffic signals at the intersections of U.S. Highway 97 at Pinebrook Boulevard and U.S. 97 at 3rd Street.
The overall cost estimate of transportation improvements needed in the U.S. 97/Murphy Road area is $45 million. The first functional project, described below, is estimated to cost $25.1 million and is mostly funded by the Jobs and Transportation Act. Future projects in the area will be built using a variety of federal, state, local and private funding.
The project consists of an extension and realignment of Murphy Road from Parrell Road across U.S. 97 to Brookswood Blvd. The road and bridge improvements include:
- A realignment of Murphy Road from 3rd Street (business U.S. 97) east to Parrell Road.
- An extension of Murphy Road from 3rd Street (business U.S. 97) west to Brookswood Blvd.
- A new bridge on Murphy Road that crosses over U.S. 97 (Bend Parkway).
- A new southbound flyover bridge from 3rd Street to U.S. 97. The new structure enables the traffic signal at the intersection of U.S. 97 and 3rd Street to be removed which will resolve the existing safety issues at the intersection.
- Modification of accesses at 3rd Street/Murphy Road and U.S. 97 and Pinebrook Blvd.
- A realignment of the existing northbound exit from U.S. 97 to 3rd Street.
- Construction of a roundabout at the intersection of the new Murphy Road and 3rd Street.
- Construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Murphy Road and Brookswood Boulevard.
- Construction of a roundabout at the intersection of Murphy Road and Parrell Road.