Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Find     
Site Image
Disaster Archive

2013 Drought Declaration

The information below outlines actions that can be taken by counties to submit a drought declaration to the State of Oregon.  A state drought declaration enables counties to benefit from emergency streamlined water rights programs, ground water usage programs and other programs that can help citizens.  An information sheet is also provided to describe state and federal assistance available for drought.
 
Small business owners impacted by the droughts may be eligible for a low interest federal disaster loan.  Learn more here.
 
Back to Top

Douglas Complex Fire in Southwest Oregon 2013


More than 40,000 acres burned seven miles north of Glendale, known as the Douglas Complex Fire.  Oregon’s Office of Emergency Management supported the efforts of the Oregon Department of Forestry and the Oregon State Fire Marshal’s Office by coordinating resources being sent to the area.  The Oregon National Guard sent five aircraft, approximately 150 soldiers, and 40 vehicles to Southern Oregon to respond to the fires. 

 Maj. Gen. Daniel R. Hokanson, Adjutant General, Oregon, toured the area with Governor John Kitzhaber on August 3.   Kitzhaber declared a State of Emergency as a result of the blazes.  Kitzhaber has called the wildfires the worst the state has seen in more than a decade.

The Douglas Complex Fire was sparked by lightning on July 25 and consists of the Rabbit Mountain, Dad’s Creek, and Farmer fires.  The blaze threatened structures in Douglas and Josephine Counties. Nearly 4,500 firefighters statewide battled the fires across Oregon.

For information on the wildfires:  http://wildfireoregondeptofforestry.blogspot.com/.
 
Back to Top

January 2012 Winter Storm: DR-4055-OR

On March 2, 2012, President Obama issued a major disaster declaration for the State of Oregon triggering the release of Federal funds to help communities recover from the Severe Winter Storm, Flooding, Landslides, and Mudslides that occurred January 17-21, 2012.
Back to Top

Japanese Earthquake/Oregon Tsunami

The State continues to monitor radiation events in Japan

The State of Oregon's Public Health Emergency Preparedness Program and Radiation Protective Services are monitoring the reported radiation release in Japan. Highly sensitive radiation detectors are located in Corvallis and Portland as part of the Environmental Protection Agency's "RadNet."
Back to Top

January 2011 Storm Event: DR-1956-OR

President Declares Major Disaster for Oregon - News Release

DR-1956-OR Hazard Mitigation Grant Program

 

The Public Assistance program provides supplemental federal financial grant assistance for the response and recovery costs incurred by local, state, tribal governments and certain Private Non-profit (PNP) organizations as a direct result of the presidentially declared event. The Federal share of assistance is 75% of the eligible cost for emergency measures and permanent restoration. The remaining 25% is the responsibility of the applicant.
 
Although the Public Assistance program is funded by Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the state has the responsibility of managing the program. The state is the grant administrator for all funds provided under the Public Assistance program. As grantee, the state is responsible for administering the programmatic and grants management requirements of the Public Assistance program. Grant management includes applying for federal assistance, monitoring and closing out the grant. The state and FEMA work in partnership to provide prompt and consistent service to all applicants.
 
See the links below for specific disaster details:
 

 

Back to Top

Tsunami Wave Surge: DR-1964-OR

President Declares Major Disaster for Oregon - News Release

DR-1964-OR Hazard Mitigation Grant Program

 

The Public Assistance program provides supplemental federal financial grant assistance for the response and recovery costs incurred by local, state, tribal governments and certain Private Non-profit (PNP) organizations as a direct result of the presidentially declared event. The Federal share of assistance is 75% of the eligible cost for emergency measures and permanent restoration. The remaining 25% is the responsibility of the applicant.
 
Although the Public Assistance program is funded by Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), the state has the responsibility of managing the program. The state is the grant administrator for all funds provided under the Public Assistance program. As grantee, the state is responsible for administering the programmatic and grants management requirements of the Public Assistance program. Grant management includes applying for federal assistance, monitoring and closing out the grant. The state and FEMA work in partnership to provide prompt and consistent service to all applicants.
 
See the links below for specific disaster details:
 

 

 

Back to Top