Who can file a complaint?

A consumer can file a complaint alleging a contractor or individual trade worker (electrician, plumber, boilermaker, etc.) violated building code statutes, laws, or specialty codes, in relation to: 

  • Performing work in the trades without the required licenses.
  • Allowing unlicensed individuals to perform work in the trades.
  • Performing work that results in unsafe building conditions.
  • Knowingly using materials or equipment that is deficient.

Consumers should report businesses or trade workers that fail to obtain the necessary permits to their local building department, unless there are more alleged violations; in that case, file a complaint with the Building Codes Division. 

Complaints regarding licensure, breach of contract, negligence, or nonpayment of wages or materials, by residential and commercial contractors should go to the Oregon Construction Contractors Board​ (CCB). The division works closely with CCB when investigating alleged violations. If you are unsure where to report a complaint, call BCD at 503-378-3278.  

File complaints to BCD as soon as possible.

How do I file a complaint?

​Complete and submit a complaint report form to the Building Codes Division. The form must be signed by the individual filing the complaint; the division does not accept anonymous complaints. Note: If you file a complaint, you may have to answer additional questions, be called to testify if the investigation results in a hearing, or both. 

  • ​On the form, provide a detailed description of the installation and the names of businesses/individuals that made the installation.
  • Attach copies of all documentation and paperwork (contracts, invoices, receipts, etc.).
  • Include names and contact information for witnesses to the installation.
  • Be as thorough as possible. This will be helpful if the complaint results in an investigation.
  • Submit the form and additional materials to the Building Codes Division:
    • ​Email: bcd.complaint@oregon.gov​
    • Fax: 503-378-2322
    • Mail: Building Codes Division, Attn: Enforcement, P.O. Box 14470, Salem, OR 97309-0404

​​What happens after I file a complaint?

A field investigator and enforcement manager from BCD will review the submitted complaint and determine if it warrants further investigation.

  • ​Generally, an investigation requires 90 days to perform, depending on the alleged violations.
  • Depending on the outcome (findings of fact) of the investigation, a variety of actions could result, such as: 
    • ​No action
    • Settlement agreement and/or assessed civil penalties
    • Hearing with the Office of Administrative Hearings, with no possibility of a reduction in civil penalties
  • ​If the respondent does not respond to the complaint within 20 days, the board’s ruling becomes a final order​​​​.