Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

Driving Under the Influence of Intoxicants (DUII): Out of State Treatment Completion

Out of State Alcohol and Drug Treatment Completion

Individuals who were convicted of a DUII and left Oregon before completing alcohol and drug treatment and who are no longer working with an ADES will need to work with the AMH Division to issue a DUII Treatment Completion Certificate to their out of state treatment provider. Individuals who have an ADES should continue working with their ADES.

The DUII alcohol and drug treatment requirements of an individual's new state of residence may differ from Oregon requirements, but the individual will be held to Oregon standards for DUII Treatment and DUII Information.

As if they were in Oregon, individuals who do not have a current assessment will be required to be assessed by an alcohol and drug treatment provider who is authorized in their state of residence. The assessment will be sent to the Oregon Health Authority with a release of information to determine the required level of care in accordance with Oregon Administrative Rule. Individuals assessed as needing alcohol and drug treatment, they will be required to satisfactorily complete all alcohol and drug treatment requirements and will be required to demonstrate 90 days of abstinence by random alcohol and drug testing through the time of their successful program completion. Individuals who are assessed for alcohol and drug education or no treatment and their new state of residence allows less than 12 hours of information education will be required to work with the provider to individually tailor a minimum of 12 hours of alcohol and drug treatment over a minimum of four sessions over four consecutive weeks and will be required to demonstrate 90 days of abstinence by random alcohol and drug testing.

Individuals are responsible for checking with their out of state provider to determine if the provider can conduct random drug tests onsite or if they can refer the individual to an agency that can perform the random test while the individual is engaged in treatment.

Out-of-State Treatment Completion Directions for Individuals No Longer Working with an ADES

  1. Complete an alcohol and drug assessment with a treatment provider approved in the new state of residence.
  2. Complete a release of information executed between the provider and the Oregon Health Authority (OHA) Addictions & Mental Health (AMH) Division.
  3. Send a copy of completed assessment and release of information, before starting any type of program, by mail to:
    OHA/AMH Division
    Attention: DUII Info Specialist
    500 Summer Street NE E86
    Salem, OR 97301
  4. A letter with additional instructions from OHA/AMH will be sent to the alcohol and drug treatment provider. This process will take 6-8 weeks. Do not begin treatment until the alcohol and drug treatment provider hears back from the Division.