Text Size:   A+ A- A   •   Text Only
Site Image

OHP and Taxes

Tax Time – Report your health coverage

2015 is the first tax year that Oregon Health Plan (OHP) members will be required to report OHP coverage on their tax return using the IRS Form 1095-B. If you or someone in your household qualified for and received coverage from the OHP, Oregon’s Medicaid and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP), you must report exactly which months of the year you had OHP when you file your federal income tax return. Here is what you need to know:

  • You will receive an IRS Form 1095-B from the Oregon Health Authority.
  • The Form 1095-B includes information you will need to complete your tax return.
  • You will need a Form 1095-B even if you had OHP for only part of the year.
  • There is an error in Box 17. The Employer Identification Number (EIN) should be 93-0576060. We apologize for the confusion.
  • Keep Form 1095-B for your records.
  • View the 1095-B Form

To learn more about the Form 1095-B, read our fact sheet. Also read the information below about how to report health coverage for you and your family, whether you had private health insurance or OHP coverage.

How to report health coverage

  • My household had OHP coverage for all of 2015.

    If your entire household had OHP coverage, you meet the requirement for qualifying health care coverage. Starting in 2015, OHP members need to provide proof of coverage. The Oregon Health Authority will mail you the IRS Form 1095-B, which is your proof of coverage and has the information you will need to complete your tax return.
  • My household only had OHP for part of 2015. 

    • OHP and insurance through the health insurance marketplace: If you had OHP for part of 2015, and purchased health insurance through OregonHealthCare.gov or Healthcare.gov for the rest of 2015, please visit OregonHealthCare.gov to learn more about how to report your health coverage.
    • OHP and employer/other insurance: If you had insurance through an employer or another source, please visit the IRS website to learn more about how to report your health coverage.
  • My children were on OHP, but I wasn’t.

Children who had OHP coverage meet the requirement for health coverage. For adults who purchased private insurance through OregonHealthCare.gov or Healthcare.gov, please visit their website to learn more about how to report your health coverage.

  • I am an American Indian/Alaska Native.

    Tribal members are able to claim a qualifying exemption. You can learn more about exemptions at OregonHealthCare.gov.

Get help with your taxes:

Several organizations offer help preparing taxes, including electronic tax filing services. In some cases help is free. Find out what resources are available to you and get information about electronic filing (e-file) by clicking the links below.

More resources